Science Forums

Airbag Science

geek77

I'm new to this site and am looking for someone to help me with a project involving airbags. Any Information would, at this point, be extremely helpful.

-Thanks, Sean R.

Welcome to Hypography geek77, I can't help you with your project but I will suggest that you try and Google information about this subject. I sure you'll find all the facts your looking for there. In the mean time...........it's good to have your participation here................enjoy.

I've already tried google and got some info. I've also been to

http://www.motherstuff.com/html/parent-airbag.htm

delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2005-01-0289.pdf

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-11/airbags/advabg_rev.html

and found some more info. Mainly the same stuff over and over.

I'm really trying to create a detailed powerpoint w/ pdf and CADD hyperlinks.

Sort of a Large project.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Well, judging by the Forum he posted in I'd guess he was looking to specs concerning how fast do they inflate, what force of impact would a human have going at certain speeds, how badly hurt someone could get, what they use to make the airbag expand so rapidly... And do on :lol:.

I'd probably either try Wikipedia myself or some car dealership website :).

Let's keep this simple: Who wears seatbelts? Race car drivers, aircraft pilots; folks who could be smashed if their bodies were loose to flop around; automobile drivers. Who suffers airbags? Automobile dirvers. Arrive at the obvious conclusion.

Airbags exist to extort an extra $1500 dollars out of your pocket when you buy a car. Airbags are a $billion facet of social engineering with no real world component other than causing injury by their deployment. Don't be a child or "small women" when that exploding bag rips off your face, breaks your driving arm, or crushes your heart.

BTW, the destabilized sodium azide propellant is as toxic as potassium cyanide. Do you imagine terrorists could... We should pass laws preventing that. Maybe appoint another Federal enforcement agency with armed officers, too. And do random checks for your own good. The cost could be added to your annual licensing fee, plus a surcharge to guard against future needs, and a cost of living annual increase. No price is too great to pay for safety.

Airbags exist to extort an extra $1500 dollars out of your pocket when you buy a car. Airbags are a $billion facet of social engineering with no real world component other than causing injury by their deployment.

An airbag saved my brothers life. He had his seatbelt on, but his head was thrown around quite a bit, and without the airbag, his head would have smashed first into the side of his car, then into the steering wheel. Without airbags, my brother would be dead. There is good reason to have them.