Science Forums

Beginning of the End

automatic existence

Its sad to know that I am already one step closer to leave this community, when I have just joined it. The same goes for life. I feel time pursuing me, closing in one second at the time. But still i take the time to post in this welcome thread merely to acknowledge my existence here.

Also i can mention the fact that I am from Scandinavia might explain my high number of grammatical errors.

I already feel welcome...

Well, i have a hard time viewing existence as positive or negative. I believe that is only your choosen values. Some see death as a good ting other see it as bad. We all make what we like good and the opposite bad. Anyway, I see your point, and I agree to some extent. I went through the period I believe you to be talking about not so long ago, then it was based on emotions and the fact that what i had did not correspond to what i wanted. Then I also saw my view as pessimistic, but now things have changed. I have started wandering into the fields of gold, or the fields of science and got a lot of new perspectives. Affective neuroscience for example removes all the legitimacy of emotions which is a big blow to our society which are built around them. The disturbing thing, from my point of view, is when you put your wishes and your ego aside and look for answers they will be found to some degree. I think alot of people are afraid of those answers. Not in any conspiracy kind of way, but simply that even scientists refuse to take the consequences of their own beliefs.

I will certainly have a day, but neither good nor bad. I wish you, on the other hand, a really good one.

BTW. I must say that I am mightely impressed over the quality of the forum.

I see youv'e dopted the same type of attitude I now have :lol:. Minus trying to make the most of your life :D. I try to have the best life I believe I can by learning as much as I can. Later on I hope to spread this knowledge to generations younger than myself (I'm 17 right now) :).

BTW. I must say that I am mightely impressed over the quality of the forum.
We do our best :).

Well, well. I was afraid you where a happy go lucky kind of guy. But i see we might have close to the same goals but very different reasons. I am also in a period of consuming every bit of information thats in my way. But I only do it to understand my self, I am not doing it for pleasure or for anyone else. Only to find out the aspects of reality. And I see how short we have come on that quest. But still we have to use what we have.

I have come under the impression that humans are, not like Rousseau thought born free, but actually born in chains. The way we think, the way we percive is very much determined by other factors then ourselves. We have very little control over ourselves which again means that we are close to automatic creatures, which puts us in the same position as normal animals. But, and its a big but, we have the power to break free of those chains. But that is a demanding task, and very rarely undertaken.

But I seem to be on my way to try and do so. And as you might have discovered I am 16, but then its only a couple of days before I am another year older. You see, time has no mercy.

At the end, out of curiousity, why would you wish to "hope to spread this knowledge to generations?"

Edit: It looks like we`ll meet in other places so no need to continue this thread any further after your answer here.

But I seem to be on my way to try and do so. And as you might have discovered I am 16, but then its only a couple of days before I am another year older. You see, time has no mercy.
September 13, 1988 is your birthday and August 24, 1988 is mine so we are basically the same age. I had noticed :).

At the end, out of curiousity, why would you wish to "hope to spread this knowledge to generations?"
Just to help push humanity towards that idealistic goal of complete efficiency... When we know EVERYTHING... or at least close to it :). I already know we are centuries, maybe even millenia, away from this, so the best I can do is just help out the generations to come after us :D. We won't get there if we don't try and you gotta start somewhere :lol:.

I just have to warn you. Evolution have continued for billions of years. Fairly recently we became aware of ourselvs but do not yet understand ourselvs. In my belief we are just as useless and have just as little purpose as a rock. If, and by all means nothing points in any other direction, we are nothing but "rocks" it would be the biggest tragedy of human existence to fully understand that. And it would probably couse a mass suecide if it got out in public.

So be careful of what you wish for!

:)

I'll have to come back to this a little later :D. I've got to eat dinner right now (:lol: Mmmm... Pizza... :D). I'll see if I can't convince you otherwise though ;).

Quick points though...

We've been self aware for thousands of years ( not something I'd consider recent based on the average number of years we live :D), we are working on understanding ourselves... but Quantum Mechanics is a cruel mistress and she hinders our progress greatly in this regard ;). If you really believed you served no more purpose than a rock then I'm sure you would have already committed suicide ;) (YOU BETTER LOG ON TOMORROW :D), you obviously find some purpose to life or else you would have already ended yours... Like I tried to do at ages 6,7, 9, and 11 (Life is soooo depressing when you see no point to it ;)). Now I see a selfless purpose to my life and that has made my life so much more enjoyable... I think you've already done the same, and I think it's to determine "what" reality is :)...

Dinner? Oh, alright. The clock is about 2.50 am here so no dinner for me. I meant fairly recent in the light of the billions of billions of years since something started moving and eventuallt got out of the ocean and onto the land. Then, my point was that suddenly after all this years we became self-conscious and suddenly had the abillity to relate ourselvs to the world around us. Which soon led to the creation of religions in every thinkable form. This was because we did not manage to find reasons, and therefore to create security, made them up (which we are stil doing, not just in the form of religion but also in other ways). Now, a while after that again we got something called science. This started to present everything a tad more clearly. I honestly believe that we are comperable to rocks. But the difference to most people is that I dont necessarily se that as a bad thing. Think about it. Actualy that gives you all the freedom in the world. But as long as we are all machines in a non-mechanical way we will not achive that freedom.

While I dont see it as a purpose, but only as the most reasonable thing to do I will seek that freedom. I dont need no pre-existent reason for me to live. Anyway there is no logical reason to kill yourself just because everything is absolutly meaningless. Just ask Camus.

Also i can mention the fact that I am from Scandinavia might explain my high number of grammatical errors.

"I have no nationality - the best possible status for an intellectual".

(Emile M. Cioran)

I wasn't aware that Scandinavians had no nationality. But then again, there are lots of things I don't know.

Welcome, AE! :lol:

Am I not allowed to have my own personal delusions? Everybody else seem to pack quite a bunch of them. But apart from the rationalization above, I just didnt want to give away my nationality.

Yes, you are absolutly right as to who owns the quote. You didnt think I had come up with something original now, did you?

Thanks for the welcoming spirit