Science Forums

Heat Transfer in Tyres

Raamesh

Hi, 
I am planning to do a a detailed presentation on the various heat transfer mechanisms of a Formula 1 tyres.
I have been referring to a research paper, so far it has been fine for me.
But I would like to know if there is something that I should be aware of, in specifc?

Even if there is not any, I would very much like any opinions/questions regarding this

This is a huge subject, with so many aspects it is difficult to know how to reply unless you indicate what your particular area of interest is. For example, there is the manufacturing aspect which involves choosing the right material compounds to provide adequate strength and durability while also being lightweight. F1 tires are only constructed to last long enough for one race, unlike conventional car tires that are built to last for several years. Next, there is the consideration of making the tire to have just the right combination of high static friction to provide traction while having low dynamic friction to reduce rolling resistance. But rolling resistance cannot be reduced to too low a value or the wheel will not deform enough to roll at all. Here is a link to a paper; while it is not directly related to F1 tires, it explains what rolling resistance is all about, and you may find it informative.

It would be helpful if you can provide a link to the paper you are reviewing, and any part of that paper you want to discuss.