Science Forums

Question About The Ozone Layer

Friends,

When the Oxygen content goes up...

I think they say that it was as high as 35% at one point in primordial times...

Does the Ozone layer get thicker? All else being equal?

Thanks.

…..Saxon Violence

I don't know, offhand. Some of these interactions can be complex and I am not an atmospheric chemist.

Ozone production is an interaction between O2 and UV light (UV-C and to a lesser extent UV- B ) The flux of this radiation is constant, so once it has all been absorbed by ozone no more O2 will react and a limit will be reached. From what I read, today all UV-C is mopped up by ozone and a lot of the UV-B but not all of it. So that suggests there is a surplus of UV-B today which could permit more ozone to be formed if the concentration of O2 were higher.

However the period in question was the Carboniferous. I did see something suggesting that methyl halides released from forest fires in the Carboniferous might actually have depleted the ozone layer.  

So I do not think the answer to your question is very clear-cut, unfortunately. Possibly this response may give you some ideas for how to research it more thoroughly.     

Edited by exchemist

Yup.  Production ceased in 1994.  My dad had the can and recharge kit in his garage and no one in the family still has a car that uses R-12.  Mom's 1993 Lincoln Town Car has been converted, my 2 1974 MG Midgets don't have air conditioning, and everything else was made after the change-over.  I have the R-12 listed on Craigslist for $20 since July of 2018 and have had no bites.  R-134a was supposed to be a "drop-in" replacement, but if the compressor oil wasn't changed to a compatible lubricant then the compressors usually failed within a few months.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/05/07/air-conditioning-dos-and-donts-refrigerants-and-the-law