Science Forums

Five Cameras On One Phone?

I've tried the sales people.  Nobody knows.  So, no one feel bad if you don't know.  Today I learned that there is a smart phone with five cameras on it. Five?  What do you do with five cameras on one phone?

Inasmuch as I was in a shopping mall, it seemed a perfect time to find out the "why" of it.  I'll not name the stores where I asked.  Nobody knew. They sell them.  That's their job.  Don't need to know why they work.   So,  what do you do on a phone that would make use of five cameras all at once?  I am just curious.  Something I have never outgrown - my natural curiosity.   Does anyone know? 

I've tried the sales people.  Nobody knows.  So, no one feel bad if you don't know.  Today I learned that there is a smart phone with five cameras on it. Five?  What do you do with five cameras on one phone?

Naturally, you brag about having 5 cameras on your phone!  I suspect it is a sales gimmick, sort of like the razors with 5 blades.

As usual, a 30sec internet search reveals some answers. Try this: https://mic.com/articles/191846/samsung-galaxy-a9-phone-5-cameras#.7oGeB4fbY

The point seems to be different lenses for different types of photography. Since nobody wants to fiddle about attaching and detaching lenses on a phone and since phone cameras are apparently so cheap to build into them, what they seem to have done is put 5 cameras in the phone, so the user selects the type of shot he or she wants and the phone selects the camera with the appropriate lens.

Edited by exchemist

Thank you both.  Makes sense, Ex Chemist.  Farming Guy,  I like the bragging rights.  Keeping up with the Jones's?  And they have five blades on razors?  That would have shocked my father who refused to switch from an straight-blade razor to an electric razor that I gave him for Christmas.  But he liked his old army knife with oodles of blades, hooks --- what else?   Suddenly, I am remembering when the rich elite had different sets of dishes for each meal.  Now we just buy paper or "take out".

Life is interesting.  Happy day to both.  And, yes, Ex Chemist, I get the hint:  Use the internet.  My plan was to write to LG and ask them.  But I wanted to first prove that our forum friends are smarter than their sales people.  :-)  Then again, isn't our forum on the internet?

Think I'd better quit while I'm ahead.  Happy Day

Thank you both.  Makes sense, Ex Chemist.  Farming Guy,  I like the bragging rights.  Keeping up with the Jones's?  And they have five blades on razors?  That would have shocked my father who refused to switch from an straight-blade razor to an electric razor that I gave him for Christmas.  But he liked his old army knife with oodles of blades, hooks --- what else?   Suddenly, I am remembering when the rich elite had different sets of dishes for each meal.  Now we just buy paper or "take out".

Life is interesting.  Happy day to both.  And, yes, Ex Chemist, I get the hint:  Use the internet.  My plan was to write to LG and ask them.  But I wanted to first prove that our forum friends are smarter than their sales people.  :-)  Then again, isn't our forum on the internet?

Think I'd better quit while I'm ahead.  Happy Day

We still do have lots of different plates. My deceased French wife inherited a lot of porcelain from her grandmother with family monograms on it, so now more than a century old. My son and I get it out at Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, when we have foie gras and sauternes and pretend to be old-style French bourgeois in my wife's memory.  We should use it more, really, but as it's a bit delicate and we can't put in the dishwasher we generally don't bother. :)

We still do have lots of different plates. My deceased French wife inherited a lot of porcelain from her grandmother with family monograms on it, so now more than a century old. My son and I get it out at Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, when we have foie gras and sauternes and pretend to be old-style French bourgeois in my wife's memory.  We should use it more, really, but as it's a bit delicate and we can't put in the dishwasher we generally don't bother. :)

I can picture that.  Too delicate to use.  I don't recommend trying this but I can tell it.  A woman living here has some very thin, delicate, heirloom water glasses.  I'd never have the nerve to do what she does.  A friend who knows her and has witnessed the deed says she puts that glassware in her dishwasher and washes it without any detergent.  It does beautifully - leaves no water stains.  She is braver than I. 

So many such stories like that can be told.  When I was at university,  I worked  for a woman in return for room and board.  The very first thing she told me was that I should be very careful with her Haviland dishes.  Break one - pay for it.  One day I went to hang the teacups on the hooks beneath the shelf.  One missed and tumbled to the counter, bouncing around a few times. 

Nope!  Nary a crack or nick nor any problem.  Scared me no end. I was always careful with those but I was much more careful after that.  And she never knew. :-)

Enjoy your porcelain.  Hazel

• 6 months later...

As usual, a 30sec internet search reveals some answers. Try this: https://mic.com/articles/191846/samsung-galaxy-a9-phone-5-cameras#.7oGeB4fbY

The point seems to be different lenses for different types of photography. Since nobody wants to fiddle about attaching and detaching lenses on a phone and since phone cameras are apparently so cheap to build into them, what they seem to have done is put 5 cameras in the phone, so the user selects the type of shot he or she wants and the phone selects the camera with the appropriate lens.

Thanks! It make sense

• 7 months later...

They might be using different lenses for the different cameras and the clarity will be more if they use more lenses in the cameras. so i think that would be the reason of using the 5 cameras in the phone.

Edited by GAHD
Lot of effort for spam. Was it worth it? only warning