Science Forums

Violations of Newton's Second Law

sciman55

That is not what the website is telling you. It is disproving one of TVs effects. In many shows you will see someone fly backwards when hit by a bullet but not the shooter that fired the bullet. That is what violates the law which says that for every action, there is an equal an opposite reaction.

In science fiction? I'm guessing that would be the inertialess drive form lensmen (or whatever) that violates the second law, is it? Or is that some other drive or device?

Anyways, if the second law were violated, to me, the acceleration would go in a different direction different from the net force (the acceleration's direction is the same as the net force). How would the law be violated in terms of mass and the net force's magnetiude?

The cited web page is mocking "movie physics." BTW, guns with muzzle brakes don't have much kick. It isn't the bullet f=ma, it is the hot gas rushing out like a rocket behind it that causes most of the kick. /_P/_V=energy, 101.325 J/liter-atm.

Car in neutral gear on flat ground. Try it lift it - that's gravitational mass

F = G(m_g)M/r^2

sucking it to the Earth's center. Try to push it - that's inertial mass

F = (m_i)a

resisting a change in velocity over time. Now, drop stuff in vacuum. If (m_i)/(m_g) is not exactly identical for everything, free fall accelerations will be different. However, the Equivalence Principle is true to measured one in ten trillion difference/average for everything examined to date.

F=ma is empirically true.