Science Forums

P4 EE O'C'd to 7.3ghz?! cripes!!

new world record for consumer intel PC CPU speed through Overclocking, 7.1ghz

i'm thinking the vegas vet of O'C Fugger will be antsy to get his title back...

just imagine what they could do with pentium d 4 ghz with 2x1meg cache and 1066 fsb

4 processing strings at 4 ghz each, demands tons of fast system ram

looks like i was right to check up on fugger, where the real information is at, 7.3ghz

I'm a bit fuzzy on this overclocking thing... not the techniques, just the motivation; why would you want to overclock a single CPU instead of spending a little less time setting up a cluster? As far as I know, the whole point is to pull every bit of speed capable out of the processor. It would seem easier to me to just use more processors.

exactly [to create a cluster would simply mean O'C each chip by dunking each mobo in fluorinert and cooling the whole kit with LN2.

but its for braggins rights, which fugger no longer has. and to lose it some PFY japanese guys.. the shame must be unspeakable.

the submerged cluster or several 955s with pentium d 4ghz chips would be insane indeed.. such power, reviving the old cray for consumer use.

I'm a bit fuzzy on this overclocking thing... not the techniques, just the motivation; why would you want to overclock a single CPU instead of spending a little less time setting up a cluster? As far as I know, the whole point is to pull every bit of speed capable out of the processor. It would seem easier to me to just use more processors.

In a word: cash.

I believe some of the reason some people enjoy overclocking is is similar to the reason some people enjoy drag racing cars powered by air-cooled Volkswagen engines, when they could easily go faster using just about any other auto engine. Pushing a hardware to its limit can teach deep lessons.

no not really craig, i've met quite a few people who overclock their pcs but without any intention, just because they can. as to the issue, well its cool and all to be able to overclock the pc to 7.3 gigs, but why not get a quad processor dual core amd64 bit server for less then 1/2 the money spent on overclocking and have a usable machine that can run compiles for hours on?