Science Forums

Skycar, or 飞行龙汽车游遍空气非常快速和相当?

1. the vehicle is a home built in garage type project, which needs to be a jet aircraft that any person can afford. a craft easily equipe aftermarket with crazy afterburners nitrous exhast systems, and god forbid weapons systems. imagine a skycar from japan or germany, a RUF skycraft or japanese tuner skycraft able to hit 1500 HP per nacelle and attain near or exceed super sonic speeds? (although the shape of the m400 would belie any such potential)

2. the government of the country they have been working in does not want it to fly and will not lift a finger in aid and keeps throwing legislation at them

the control issues can be resolved by fly by wire technologies, which in the wrong hands, "anyone elses but ours" can easily create terrorist tranportation vehicle which operate like a plane and at speeds of small civilian aircraft, and have if properly configured a much smaller radar signature, if the craft is flown high enough for radar to detect it, meaning if the control system used to control these craft can do so where a craft can legally fly any distance without radar detection any would be terrorist or crook or sniper etc would have a staging area and get away craft all in the same place.

that paranoia aside

the new benefactors the chinese need this vehicle to succeed, thus in 2008 you will see the unbridled potential of a proper skycraft flying at altitude, perhaps not at full speed for safety reasons, but you'll get the first glympse.

depending on how much the chinese want to thumb their noses at the states they could commission several craft to be created with proper fly by wire controls flying in military formation. THAT would seriously rattle the paranoid US gov't, knowing their worst fears were being realised and since moller is canadian they can't detain him... they could prolly kill him silently.. who knows what they are capable of... or should i say who can prove...

craigd your post makes me wonder

as you said many people are already familiar with the skycar, and have been for decades at least.

my first brush was with slipstream 5000, where the cover of the PC game featured a skycar like vehicle. i wanted to know if such as thing was real, sometime about then a show called beyond 2000 had a story (i think, my childhood although less than a decade ago is all a blur).

i wonder if besides the games in 08 if featuring the skycar or something like it in the mass media would reawaken confidence.

such as the island and its jetbike ripoff of the ancient jetmodo games.

what if they were to remake slipstream 5000 for the new consoles, xbox360 and ps3 due out soon, and in time for the games in 08, interested persons could take a virtual test flight.... (again or for the first time).

again and however the old slipstream game centered on combat and racing two things no one would be able really to do. but sony mitsubishi and nissan will tell you just because you can't race it doesn't mean you can't own it and show it off.

1. the vehicle is a home built in garage type project, which needs to be a jet aircraft that any person can afford…
Sounds like you’re describing the BD5J.

Jim Bede’s original BD5 was a pusher-prop single seat sport plane, cruising in the mid 200 MPH range using a snowmobile engine. Long wings could be swapped to allow it to be used as a moderate-performance powered sailplane. He built several jet versions in the 1970s for an exhibition team that toured airshows to promote his enterprise.

The BDs were kit planes. One purchases plans, and received parts in the mail. This proved a practical disaster – Bede struggled to deliver on his commitments in the face of supplier troubles, substituting engines, etc. to match availability. It was complained that, at one point, unable to come through with a part, he shipped aluminum stock with instructions for the builder to machine it on his own!

Few people bought the kit. Fewer people successfully finished it. Those who did faced the intimidating challenge of test flying a fast aircraft with an iffy engine and only inches of sheet metal between its nose and their feet, and no second seat for a pilot with experience in a BD5. One owner/builder/test pilot died crashing into woods seconds after takeoff on his first flight. The aviation press was, with cause, harsh.

The BD5s are sweet airplanes. You can likely see one or a few at any big airshow, or in the James Bond film "Octopussy". However, Bede’s vision of it as a budget-friendly sportsplane owned by thousands was close to a total bust.

2. the government of the country they have been working in does not want it to fly and will not lift a finger in aid and keeps throwing legislation at them
Simply not true. Early (1960s) Moller duct-fan craft were funded by the US army, who were interested in having a “flying jeep”. Moller sought financing from the private sector only after the military lost interest after early designs proved only marginally successful.

The US flight-certification program is terribly difficult and expensive to complete, and has been thrown at all private aircraft manufacturers, virtually assuring that no small aircraft company can certify an unusual aircraft. The “experimental” aircraft designation provides an effective loophole for such aircraft – interestingly, even such widely-available aircraft as the Rutan Long-EZ (famous for being the aircraft in which singer John Denver die in a pilot-error crash) are designated experimental. A small number – several hundred – Skycars could certainly be flown under experimental certificates.

the control issues can be resolved by fly by wire technologies…
That’s what people have been hoping, for about the last 10 years. Clearly, this is not as easy as we might hope. From the few videos I’ve seen, I get the impression that from the M200X on, Moller has been struggling with the duct-fan/engine system’s “lashiness” – difficulty smoothly regulating speed under load. Just listen to the “vroom, vroom” and observe the wobbly flight in the videos.

One impression I’d like to try to dispel is that Moller’s Skycar are radically different, in design or capabilities, from existing aircraft.

Capability-wise, the Skycar is similar to both helicopters, and vectored-thrust jets (eg: the various AV-8 Harrier and Super Harrier fighter jets of the US and British militaries) The major difference between it and these proven aircraft types is its promise of much better fuel efficiency (and resulting flight time and range), and much lower noise.

Engineering-wise, its resemblance to various shrouded and un-shrouded tilt-prop aircraft is striking, in particular, the 1957 Doak 16, and the ca. 1970 Bell X22. Both aircraft were fairly successful, but did not lead to production aircraft, unless one considers the un-shrouded-prop, almost-successfully deployed V22 Osprey, to be a descendent of these designs.

I want my Moller Skycar! However, we shouldn’t exaggerate its place in aviation and engineering history.

Then there's the issue of the propulsion. Unlike most other things (even helicopters, suprisingly) when ducted fans stop being powered, they drop like rocks. Actually like rocks. Your skycar will have all the aerial maneuverability of a regular ford taurus falling from 1000 feet. This to me is a bad thing.

whichcan be counteracted with a parachute system similar to that being developed for small aircraft.

indeed no sane person would fly a skycraft like the m400 without a parachute.

and mentioning v22 and m400 in the same breath, like comparing siblings. both have so much potential but lack safety and technology required to put them into service.

it really doesn't help that the media gobbles up such vehicles as staples of future transport when more than likley they'll be scraped before long.

would be nice to see a return of blimps.. too bad they are so slow.

what about hoverboards and jetbikes? both of those are as likely as the v22 orm400 to see commercial applications.

I can't see flying cars being more efficient than grounded cars. At least, not without some sort of lighter-than-air material on it or in it - like a hot air balloon.

I think it'd be more suited to russia, could even pull their economy out of the slump induced by their large and difficult to pass terrain. Imagine the space freed up in major cities once most of the major roadways could be eliminated or atleast downsized

trully, if financing the craft for individuals wasn't a problem (which it is), russia canada and australia would be perfect countries to launch this vehicle. we'd need for the vehicle to have extreme range and performance as well as safety.

perhaps in 30 years when generation 2-3 skycraft are available, with affordable performance and safety perhaps "second world" (developed but not rich) nations like parts of australia canada and russia might benefit from them.

moller says that skycraft will increase the development of china, this should mean for some that perhaps china will bypass the US as one of the most important nations in the world.