Science Forums

Human Genome Mapping

Turtle

___The hope & promise of mapping the human genome lies in acquiring an ability to cure disease, but time has not been on our side. Now, Jonathan Rothberg of the 454 Life Sciences Corporation, has developed a method for sequencing which is magnitudes faster than the current methods. Not without its own errors, it looks like a step in the right direction.

___Read more here:

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050725/full/050725-14.html

I wonder how long it will be before they can just go ahead and run your DNA sequence when you are born and put it on file. Then again, by the time they can do that they may be able to sequence it in minutes as needed. It's amazing how fast technology is moving.

I think the tech is coming soon, of course, but I don't think they'll use it to build a database. That's too large an investment, and there's no money in it. Hell, they don't even track American immigrants anymore. The politicians won't give up their fat pensions to fund it, and the citizens are already giving half their money to the tax man.

What will happen is hospitals and clinics will offer genetic screening of your pre-born children in the name of good health. That's why the push for abortion. Then, when the techniques become available, they'll offer genetic modification, or even full on design. You might not even need to provide your own embryo, just DNA samples. Then parents could choose which body parts come from which parent. How handy!

The ethics for this is questionable since it would entail mass creation and disposal of embryos for the modification process. That kind of explains the specific push for "human embryonic" stem cell research when other sources are available, such as adult bone marrow and even animal tissues.

Then when it's all old news and a part of every day life, the government will have to step in and regulate things. You know, to keep people from making "Incredible Hulks" for pets or "circus freaks" for entertainment. And then we will be back to designing the perfect "Aryan" race, just like Hitler was. One would have to wonder then if the old garbage would be done away with. Or if any ethical opposition would be seen as an "unclean" reproductive threat to a secure future.

I can't wait. Hell, we must do all we can to assist the "fact of evolution."

• 2 weeks later...

Dear forum!

I'm kind of new here, and I'm really intresting in the importancy of the genes. Does anyone like to talk about where this code kept on the earth systems.

So the main thing is how stable is our DNA chain, and so what could be coded there.

If it's a rong topic let me know please?

Csongor