Science Forums

The era of boredom

Queso

we, as human beings have evolved this beautiful capability called conciousness.

this has allowed us to progress as a race, and stay on top.

we can survive without even trying.

we can sit on a couch all day long and not have to worry about some predator bursting through the wall and taking our lives away.

and since we have so much free time to just be alive, we are BORED.

most of us, at least.

it wasn't until a couple days ago that i realized i could never be bored ever again. with my wide variety of interests i can keep myself busy at all times. i feel like i've taken another step up my ladder, and shattered some wall i havn't been able to pass through for a very, very long time.

this epiphony has left me feeling like a completely different person.

this thread is strictly opinion and observation based. don't expect me to give you anything more than that. (GRRRRRRRRRRR) and i am wondering if anybody else feels this way?

We in the First World live in a Golden Age. Given minimal personal investment, anything within the whole of human knowledge, achievement, creation, and pleasure can be ours for the asking and with rapid turnaround. Most of the so-privileged population invests its time in complaining about all the yellow and sniffing neighbors' buttholes for improprieties. The whole First World is depressed and addicted to Offically helpful psychopharmaceuticals. They'd be much happier dirty, hungry, diseased, fighting for their livies, and burying most of their children. That is how the other four billion humans live, and none of them are whining for Prozac.

When you have nothing, you desperately have religion. When you have everything, you have nothing but doubt and boredom assuaged by decadence. Unless you grow out from yourself you are an animal in a zoo - fed, pampered, obese, and unhappy.

We are god. Wth shall we do today? Most folks would lay in bed late, somehow make it through the day (booze, drugs, tobacco, soap operas) and eventually order out for pizza. Animals in a zoo. The slums, er, Inner Cities, have revived dirt, hunger, disease, fighting for their lives, and burying their children. The productive middle class has been bled white in the name of jackbooted State compassion. They are depressed for living in a toxic society. Academia, an expression of the potential of human evolution, has been diversely polluted into egalitarian garbage.

Rome at the height of its conquests and powers was faced with a conundrum of seemingly infinite potential uncoupled to real world endeavor, individual or social. Rome fell to the appetites of its internal mob and external barbarians, both of whom were hunter-gatherers moment to moment plundering the world without regard to individual mortality or the future. Does it sound familiar?

___But what do you really think Unky? :) As a twitching autist I am often depressed but seldom bored. The past month I bathed twice, dropped 20 pounds, & felt assured if I went to my doctor he would want to carve something new out of me & try some new barrage of medications so he can win that trip to Barbados from Glaxo-Smith Klein. In spite of that I finished a painting (that only took me a year), started another, & learned more about my Katabataks through others here at Hypography than I might have ever found myself.

___It is indeed a golden age & I try & make as positive & efficient a use of the treasure as I can.

Elitism insists the better is preferable to the worse. Uncle Al is an elitist. Rather than foster brilliance, we allocate for its suppression. Uncle Al is Severely Gifted and shoots back. Best efforts will not substitute for knowledge. Be a scholar and go beyond that to create. Know the fear, do it anyway. Spawn until you die.

Luke, "I don't believe it."

Yoda, "That is why you fail."

It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.

As a twitching autist I am often depressed but seldom bored.

In my youth I enjoyed sparring with psycholgists for bucks (university project volunteering) and sport,

Psychologist, "How would you describe your usual emotional state?"

Uncle Al, "I am chronically homicidally depressed."

Psycholigst, "You mean "suicidally depressed'."

Uncle Al, "No, my way is better."

It is, too. God helps those who help themselves to others. Was Godfrey Cambridge in The President's Analyst depressed? Hell no! He starts with a sympathetic soliloquoy about racism in his childhood. How has he overcome that devastating trauma? He kills people for a living. The key moment is when Severn Darden offers Sidney (the Analyst) an M16 to hold off The Phone Company's private army. Pacifist Sidney refuses until Darden insists: "You wanna change the world? Take the gun!"

Take the gun.