Science Forums

Resonance frequencies

mo24

I'm interested in the topic of resonant frequencies.

According to some of the articles i've been reading, everything in the universe resonates.

Most people have heard the story of an opera singer being able to shatter a wine glass with a certain pitch/frequency of voice that the glass absorbs and resonates at an increasing rate until it finally shatters.

I know that sound and EMF waves are different, but would it be feasible to do the same thing with EMF waves tuned to specific frequencies on a much smaller level?

To be specific, i'm curious about whether or not this same method could be applied to destroying certain elements, as well as microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses. What would prevent this from working, if anything? How might a person figure out what the resonant frequency of a particular element or microorganism was? And assuming that was doable, would it in theory be possible to use EMF waves to destroy it in much the same manner as the example above?

And assuming that was doable, would it in theory be possible to use EMF waves to destroy it in much the same manner as the example above?
An to what purpose would you employ this new technology, I hope your not a terrorist. Just kidding around mo24, I'm sure you have peaceful intentions.

... would it in theory be possible to use EMF waves to destroy it in much the same manner as the example above?
As you say, electromagnetic and acoustic waves are very different. When people say that an object resonates, they’re referring to the sort of resonance produce by sound or physical pressure, like a wine glass or a bell. When people speak of optical resonance, they’re usually referring to a reflective cavity that allows light of only a few frequencies to form a standing wave, the way a LASER works. Optical resonance is no more damaging to a material than the light that pumps it.

It is possible to selectively target specific cells while leaving others alone, if they’re a different color or can be stained to be a different color than the surrounding cells. There are a few commercial medical applications of this technique, most involved in targeting cancer cells.

There’s also a technique that involves passing all of ones blood thought an narrow, transparent channel, while irradiating it with ultra-violet light that effectively sterilizes it. It’s hard on plasmids and red blood cells, so usually, as many of these as possible are removed before and returned after this treatment. The treatment is unusual, and a last resort, for any sort of unidentified or drug-resistant, blood-born infection.

• 2 weeks later...