Science Forums

Compositions By Daedalus

DaedalusSFN

Although I enjoy working on challenging mathematical problems and discussing physics, I also love playing guitar and piano, and writing musical compositions. I've been playing and writing music for over 26 years, but these past three years my skill has finally developed to the point where I'm able to compose symphonies, chamber pieces, and all sorts of musical creations.

I compose music using Pro Tools 10 and render the music using the XPand2 synthesizer and Garritan's orchestral sound packages. However, Pro Tools lacks decent tools to edit the MIDI and add dynamics to the voices. I'm looking at getting a Mac because I've seen how Logic Pro works and it's nice to be able to use Bezier curves instead of having to manually edit the MIDI data in Pro Tools.

Instead of posting all of my compositions at once, I will give people time to comment on each one. My music is classical in nature and I can't afford to pay real musicians to record it. So, it's not music everyone will enjoy. However, if you like classical music, then I hope you'll enjoy my music. On that note, I present you all my song, "Forged by Destiny", which is a song that I wrote that my brother and I used to play on guitar. Unfortunately, he injured himself on the job and can no longer play guitar like he used to. :( So, I turned it into a symphony for him. Please, keep in mind that I copyright all of my music. Enjoy!!!

[video=youtube;l_5i7ACtq5I]

Edited by DaedalusSFN

Throughout our lives, people come and go. Sometimes they leave such an impression that we cannot help but miss them when they are gone. As I've said many times before, good music comes from the heart, and I wrote this song because there are a few people that I truly miss. Enjoy!!!

[video=youtube;BYwf3Zl9Keg]

This next song is title, "Celeste". I really enjoyed writing the piano part in this one. Enjoy!!!

This is my favorite so far. I'm no musician, but I do enjoy listening to classical. Your mention of transposing keys, a kind of layering I suppose, caught my interest as I am currently rereading Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach, and he writes at length in the Introduction on some of the recursive layering techniques Bach used. (In fugues and canons I think?)

Since you have an interest in math as well, may I ask if you have you read Hofstadter? Anyway, thanks for sharing and welcome to the menagerie. :hi:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed my music. :note2: :note: :cool:

This is my favorite so far. I'm no musician, but I do enjoy listening to classical. Your mention of transposing keys, a kind of layering I suppose, caught my interest as I am currently rereading Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach, and he writes at length in the Introduction on some of the recursive layering techniques Bach used. (In fugues and canons I think?)

Since you have an interest in math as well, may I ask if you have you read Hofstadter? Anyway, thanks for sharing and welcome to the menagerie. :hi:

I haven't read Hofstadter, but I'll check it out when I have time. As you can tell, my biggest influence is Bach.

Missing you is my fav, mainly because it has a bit of an "epic" touch.

Yeah, it's one of my favorites too!

April was my favourite, even when I can't say exactly why. The others were a tad too restless for my present mood.

April is also one of my favorites and, if you like the slower paced songs, then you'll like the next two I'm posting. This next song is titled, "Once Upon a Dream". It is my first pipe organ composition, and is heavily influenced by Bach. Enjoy!!!

[video=youtube;HFCdhwZZ1yA]

Edited by DaedalusSFN

The lady who taught me how to read and write music retired last year. Without Mrs. Wood, I wouldn't be able to write the music that I do today. Great teachers are hard to find and, although we are in their lives for a brief period of time, their teachings remain with us forever. This song titled, "Where the Sky is Blue", is dedicated to her. Enjoy!!!

[video=youtube;0a-79NAa2VE]

Edited by DaedalusSFN

When I write music, it takes the form of my mood at the time and reflects my emotional state of mind. This song, "Endless Night", was written during a period in my life when I was having a tough time. Regardless of how I feel, music has always helped me overcome the hardships that I've faced. As such, this song is one of the most melodramatic pieces that I've written. Enjoy!!!!

[video=youtube;v8WFEpVQS8I]