Science Forums

Rules For Social Networks

petrushkagoogol

Rules for social networks

Here is my attempt to de-mystify that behemoth that we call "a social network" !

1. The empirical social network is the family. (axiomatic).

2. The empirical social network is the most difficult to detach from. (think of estrangement from your family....).

3. Larger social networks bring collective benefits.

4. Larger social networks are easier to detach from. (FB / Instagram).

5. You can be a member on multiple social networks, but it is difficult to be equally visible on all.

6. Even in prison you can have a social network.

7. The infinitely large social network is the INTERNET. :p (network of networks).

Do you agree ?  :bow:

Uh, I'm afraid you're confused. I think you'll find that I, and most of the viewers here, are quite capable of finding a dictionary definition of a word. The question is, how does it actually apply to your statement above. You've used it in an unusual way: 90% of the time the adjective "empirical" modifies the nouns "evidence," "data" or "observations" indicating as we the definition you provide, that it allows the speaker to differentiate from information that does not actually have measurements.

When you use it to modify "social networks" it is not at all clear what you mean because you have gone far afield from words that are synonyms for "evidence."

Do you mean to partition different social media? The platforms themselves? The different typologies and forms thereof?

Or do you mean to say that all social media is empirical?

That you did not find your use of the word possibly confusing actually indicates to the rest of us that you don't have a complete command of the word, and your reaction would appear to be somewhat defensive. I don't mean to be rude, but you may find it in your interests to expound a bit more on what you mean by this rather than simply assuming we need a dictionary.

Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think, :phones:
Buffy

Uh, I'm afraid you're confused. I think you'll find that I, and most of the viewers here, are quite capable of finding a dictionary definition of a word. The question is, how does it actually apply to your statement above. You've used it in an unusual way: 90% of the time the adjective "empirical" modifies the nouns "evidence," "data" or "observations" indicating as we the definition you provide, that it allows the speaker to differentiate from information that does not actually have measurements.

When you use it to modify "social networks" it is not at all clear what you mean because you have gone far afield from words that are synonyms for "evidence."

Do you mean to partition different social media? The platforms themselves? The different typologies and forms thereof?

Or do you mean to say that all social media is empirical?

That you did not find your use of the word possibly confusing actually indicates to the rest of us that you don't have a complete command of the word, and your reaction would appear to be somewhat defensive. I don't mean to be rude, but you may find it in your interests to expound a bit more on what you mean by this rather than simply assuming we need a dictionary.

Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think, :phones:
Buffy

I have used the word "empirical", like in empirical formula, to express the simplest possible social network viz. the family. (I have been a bit too liberal, but I think you may guess the context, and realize that this is not a malapropism)    :beer-fresh:

• 2 years later...