Science Forums

AMD vs Intel in Japan

I dont know if anyone read about this, but AMD has filed a court suit against Intel for violating the antitrust laws in Japan by offering companies "special" discounts if they use Intel technology and promiss to not consider AMD. They are looking for $55 mill from Intel, the 48-page complaint alleged that Intel used illegal subsidies to win sales, and in some cases threatened companies for using or selling AMD products. AMD identified 38 companies on three continents that it claimed were coerced by Intel.

AMD asked the court on Friday to serve subpoenas for the preservation of documents in the possession of specified third parties so they may be used as evidence in the litigation. The court granted the request shortly after.

AMD sent notices to 32 computer companies, microprocessor distributors and computer retailers requesting that they suspend their normal document destruction and take steps to present evidence from being lost, according to an AMD filing with the court.

Of these, 14 companies have responded and nine of those indicated they would work with AMD to preserve documents, AMD said. The nine companies were Acer, Gateway, Lenovo, NEC, Rackable Systems, Sony and Sun. The others are distributor Tech Data and the retailer Circuit City Stores.

Best Buy Co. has agreed to comply with AMD's request "without limitation", while Dell and Hitachi acknowledged AMD's letters of request and promised to respond. CompUSA has acknowledged AMD's request.

Toshiba is the only company to have acknowledged receipt of AMD's notice and "refused to negotiate at all," according to the filing. Toshiba declined to comment.

So far, 18 companies have not responded, according to the filing, ranging from HP and IBM to Dixons. "In the light of the court order, AMD is confident that the companies it has contacted will appropriately preserve the relevant documents," said an AMD spokeswoman.

... what can I say, I swear I'm going to have to hit the toshiba people one of these days for the stupid stuff like this that they pull off, oh and you go AMD :)

AMD is by far the superior chip. I have an AMD Athlon 64 55-FX box. It has significantly faster throughput than a Pentium4e, does 32- and 64-bit computing (Knoppix64 boot) without a hitch, and blasting flat out 24/7 on scientific calculation the CPU runs at... 40 C. Don't do DOOM3 in a Pentium.

Intel will outperform AMD with Media creation software, sometimes considerably. Said software is specifically written to Pentium architecture through Intel, ah, quiet support. Neutral Media software executes faster in AMD. Linux executes some 30% faster in AMD.

Blades of late model Opteron-800 series will cream Itanium2 hardware - running cooler, using standard coding, and creating awesome memory bandwidth. I ran in a cluster of 16 Opteron-848s and benchmarked a 1% cycle loss/CPU in full parallel mode vs. one CPU running. A four-Pentium board gave two Pentium performance. Xeons are not much better. We ran multiple serial rather than parallel in Xeons. Intel is hopeless in parallel architectures.

NO INTEL INSIDE.

where is the bell, lol ;)

Although i think that x86 architecture is very "sucky" and inefficient to say the least, between the two i'd choose AMD over intel for many of the reasons posted above. Plus Itanium chips are backwards compattible with 32 bit, but they dont run too impressively in 32 bit mode, on the other hand 55 or 57 FX will outbenchmark a dual 32bit chip in 32 bit computing any day. I remember we were doing a box for our teacher, we set it to compile KDE, Gnome, OpenOffice, Xorg, Firefox, Gimp, MPlayer (with support for just about any video format) and a few dozen other programs of lesser size, anyways, we were thinking, ok, at least 6 hours, 5 and a half would be really awesome to see, the thing got done in 2 hours and 40 minutes, I was blown away, it takes my 2.8 approximately 8-9 hours to do OpenOffice alone (hence it is the only program that i run a binary of)

but yeah, i know a guy who runs a Penguin Computing cluster of 40-60 quad opteron servers, compared to even 100 quad xeons, this thing is many times faster... (he runs the cluster that takes in the data from the casini mission (raw pictures) and puts them together as individual pictures, then takes individual pictures and puts them together to make a map of the area that they then send off to NASA to create a 3d model of the surface of the planet... (cool eh? thats what i said...;))