Science Forums

Open-Source has a TV-Show

Apache is one of the bigger and long running open-source projects. MySQL is also completely Open, and so is PHP... you might be confusing something with MSSQL or IIS maybe?

oh and as to mail servers, but most web servers dont run mail servers and web servers outnumber mail servers by miles

I know one requires payment for commercial use - MySQL? - and I didn't/don't have time to go check everything.

One thing I want to do is set up an HTTP/HTTPS proxy for myself, so I can bounce my surfing off my home connection (which I trust) while using an HTTPS connection from unsecured locations like wi-fi and untrusted networks. I also want to run sendmail on the same machine, so I can leave a copy there, but read remotely, via webmail over the https link.

Haven't got a clue where to start, though...

no, no, no, no, no, you do not pay for the product at all, the problem becomes when you run a multitude of mysql servers that you would like support when you get in trouble, and thats where money comes in. MySQL is a comlletely free and Open-Source database, but just like any company, they need money to survive, and since they would not dare sell their product, like hundreds of other companies like RedHat, Novelle, Suse, Sun Microsystems to name a few big ones, they provide a not so free support for their products, so when you need a patch or something does not work like you want it to, you have a person you can call, most of the time an actual developer, and you can say, well listen this isnt working, i need it fixed asap, what do you need me to do. (and this works many times better then microsoft support, where you need to get to like the 20'th level of people to talk to a tech who knows what the registry is, on and it is still not a fact that they will fix anything, they need a few thousand complaints before they consider it, oh and be prepared to spend hours on the phone with them)

Where to start? Well a good start will be running down to the nearest book store that sells decent computer books and look for a book on Apache web servers and another book on Sendmail, if I had a choice, I'd go with O'Reilley(sp?) their books like Running Linux are excellent and dont bore you with mumbo jumbo for the first 300 pages before briefly touching on a subject and the book is finished, unlike some other publishers... Also you need to read up on iptables (that should be your firewall, and you should know how to use it pretty well and you should use it) also take a look at port knocking, as that is another really cool thing that you might want to employ as one of the defense strategies, make sure you log well, and come up with some recommended log parser programs to alert you of any kind of attacks on your box, also since you are goint into the WWW, you'll need some rootkit sniffers and a strategy to make sure your box and packages arent infected, very popular way is md5 summs, but there are ways to make changes to the programs and backups, so make sure that you save all data to a cd or dvd and periodically check your system packages against your known base (or if you run a Debian-based distro, just write a small script to completely reinstall core system packages).

P.S. I know that I might have offended someone by my dislike of certain Linux distros, I would like to clarify that I dislike their general installs, straight from CDs, no modification, I know that some people go a long way to modify their system to work for them better, and you guys i encourage to do just that, i do not mean to offend any of you and respect anyone who is willing to join our discussions here (meaning computer science in general)!

Microsoft changing XML and implementing a proprietary version of svg (Longhorn).

Longhorn has got to be the first version of windows I am not looking freward to at all. How can you base the entire OS on OOP, and quite literaly it does core system procedural tasks with objects, and more then that .NET? even their dumb command line interface which nowhere nearly rivals BASH will have built in .NET based Language...