Science Forums

Time in the 4th dimension

Aki

• 1 year later...

Hey Tormod; Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I was under the impression that we were already living in the 4th dimension. From this I mean that, there are 3 spacial dimensions and 1 of time which we are moving through at the present. Ofcourse string theory complicates this discussion considerably, taking into account the 11 or 20 dimensions, depending upon which model one ascribes to, that are currently popular in string theory circles.

Does anyone know how i could demonstrate the fourth dimension in action?

a 2-D or 3-D model hopefully. i was also thinking about showng spaces curves with a wire model. any help would be appreciated.

Fuzzy,

I you captured all the data of the motion of a 3D beachball as it move. The virtual object

created is a 4D object. Simple enough. So when you throw an object in the air, the total

movie of that object is a 4D (said differently).

Tormod's mention of Feynman diagram is a simple way to think about it in the quantum

realm.

Aki,

There is no prohibition of adding time to a set number of spatial dimensions (be it 3 or

another number). There are limited number of dimensions in which Cross products can

be formulated which limit the number of choices for the number of dimensions. The

Cross product or generalized "Outer Product" is used in computing magnetic field potential

as well as a few other areas. From a friend who was an Algebraic Geometer and

Mathematician told me that he was only aware of two (3, 7) where the product space was

1-1 and onto (back in the same domain you started). This would mean only 3 and 7 would

allow you produce a field potential as in EM. :)

Maddog

What is the difference between a spatial dimension and a time dimension?

Einstein wrote about what he called world lines, generally speaking world lines could be thought of as a string of interconnected points in the advancing time frame. This might be a little easier to understand if one views each point in time as a separate universe from the next and following one. Because we are advancing through these different points in time it is understood to be the 4th dimension.

What is the difference between a spatial dimension and a time dimension?

A spatial dimension has an implied direction (we have 3 spatial that our eyes sees), whereas

time is often refered to as a scalar dimension (this is because no direction implied). The

spatial dimension can be put together to form a Vector. A constant (speed of light - c) must

be multiplied to convert the units. :hihi:

Maddog

But, assume that our universe was two dimensional - that we were all two dimensional beings, and that we only knew of two spatial dimensions. But we discovered that TIME was a dimension, and that we were travelling through it. So now we would know of three dimesions - two spatial and one time. Now, imagine that the universe was a flat plane, and that the third dimesion consisted of all of these universes piled on top of one another, in such a way that each dimesion was only affected by the dimensions before it. To the beings within the 2D universe, we would be "moving" through time, while in reality, that sense of "motion" comes only from the fact that events can only affect other events in one direction within the third dimension. In reality, all of "time" would exist at once, stationary. This is how I view the time dimension - continuous third dimensions with cause and effect happening only in one direction.