Science Forums

Rocktronica

Tormod

have you ever played through a moogerfooger MURF? it looks so crazy, i never have. i want to though!

No. Sounds cool :Alien:. Okay, the strange tremolo slide is very simple - I played a couple of actual arpeggio riffs down at the bottom of the neck. The entire solo is basically just many repetitions and variations on this arpeggio (F7, give and take), recorded into an audio track in Live.

Then I simply placed a pitch modulator on the audio clip and drew straight lines so the pitch starts off rising, then falling, at very small increments. The cool thing is that the pitch changes in fractions of a semitone, but it changes pretty fast, so you get notes which are (well, almost) impossible to play on a fretted instrument. It also makes the solo sound a lot faster than it really is.

The last solo before the end is basically just a small piece of the first solo, but with a slightly different modulation pattern to create a sense of ending.

The other guitar part is simply a tapping pattern with no modulation. The backing chords are a bog standard I-IV-V power chord progression with almost no variation - but they are played through an autofilter which gives the strange "swelling" sound and almost something like a flanging effect, although there is no change in pitch.

State Secret revealed. ;)

It is certainly fast and frentic. However, the lack of "telling a story" or going anywhere actually turns it into quite a long two minutes. You need to change key at some point, or change the chord progression a bit, in my opinion. You could then come back to the original sounds a little later.

Music that is successful is generally music that engages on some emotional level, or tells a story as it goes along. I think taking your cue from some of the great classical music peices would help, or perhaps some of the stuff Bond are playing. They tell great stories, normally without lyrics.

Just my 2p worth. My other half, who was a music journalist for a short while, thought it sounded great. "Funky, sounds great" were her comments. I have to post this now, so she can hear it again!

You need to change key at some point, or change the chord progression a bit, in my opinion.

I think taking your cue from some of the great classical music peices would help, or perhaps some of the stuff Bond are playing.

Sheesh. Do you often tell people what they *need* to do and where they should get their inspiration? What do you know about my musical background... :Alien:

Tell your better half "thanks" and go do something useful.

Sheesh. Do you often tell people what they *need* to do and where they should get their inspiration? What do you know about my musical background... :Alien:

Tell your better half "thanks" and go do something useful.

I wasn't saying you should do that, I was simply saying that if you didn't get what I meant, a look at what they do would show you. Bond are banned from the Classical charts over here due to being so successful. They also use similar techniques to you, but in a different genre.

I didn't claim to be right, but you posted and asked, so I told. ;) I could have just said it was carp. I quite liked it. But it didn't make the leap from "good and technically good" to "brilliant and technically good".

Anyway, if you thought that was an insult, download something like "Duel" by Bond. Now tell me that being compared to the best of the best is an insult? ;)

I wasn't saying you should do that, I was simply saying that if you didn't get what I meant, a look at what they do would show you.

Now tell me that being compared to the best of the best is an insult? :turtle:

No sweat, nkt, I was half jesting. But you used the terms "you should" and "you need"...big no-no's in my book.

Who says I think Bond are any good? I don't mind if you mention them but I don't think music is a competition, if you get my drift. I am not in this to be successful but to have some plain, old fun. :cup:

No sweat, nkt, I was half jesting. But you used the terms "you should" and "you need"...big no-no's in my book.

I did, at least, qualify that with "in my opinion".

Who says I think Bond are any good? I don't mind if you mention them but I don't think music is a competition, if you get my drift. I am not in this to be successful but to have some plain, old fun. :turtle:

Well, I did, for one ;-Þ The general consensous is that they are very good. That wasn't my point, though.

I was trying to talk about technique. You are trying to make music that speaks to people, no? That engages emotions and takes the listener away from where they are?

This is hard to do without words. You have choosen to go this route, so I thought you might like a nod towards some people who I, at least, think already do it well.

Perhaps I should have suggested some of NIN? Trent Reznor has a few tracks that move without words. But I think it more likely you know those already...

Anyhow, sorry for any offence.

Anyhow, sorry for any offence.

no, no, let's forget about that. A mutual misunderstand, perhaps.

As for instrumental music: I have a Bachelor of Music Performance on classical guitar, with a minor in jazz improvisation. I have played guitar since 1982. I have never written music with words. I *listen* to all kinds of music, though - but my big heroes are guitarists like John Scofield and other jazz/fusion folks who write only instrumental music.