Science Forums

How Letters In English Dictate What The Word 'is?'

BrettNortje

I have always thought behind every art, there is a science. this has been proven in religious churches everywhere, with the golden ratios. now, i have decided to complete this ideal that each letter has a defined meaning in our language, and, maybe in others?

Let's start with the letter "i." if this letter is used a lot because it is a vowel, then there must be some hidden meaning behind it. i suggest that we think for a moment what the heck "i" means. it is used in a variety of words, including it, is and ice. so, lets work with those now? i suppose i means a sense of ownership, or a represented party. is is i plus s, and i have already found how s is a defining letter. so, is is something represented defined, yes? isn't that working so far with you? how about "it?" would that be using a represented thing added to by the letter t? i don't understand it yet, but we can come back to it, yes?

Now, ice is also a represented thing, being defined. man do i have my work cut out for me.

What do you guys think? is there a universal constant to letters in every language? i think there is!

Brett, pgrmdave has nailed it. There is absolutely no evidence to support your speculation, but there is an enormous wealth of evidence about the origin and development of language in general and writing in particular that completely undermines it.

I ask you to consider that it may be a trifle presumptuous to speculate about a subject that you have almost no knowledge of. You clearly have an inquisitive and inventive mind, but by giving it wholly free rein you are wasting its potetntial.Use that energy to learn some basics before speculating.

Descriptive is a word

that describes the

word

To scribe is tobe

descriptive.

And all words

describe.

I am sure I will need some pills

but I donot now what to prescribe?

The label on a pill box

that is quite descriptive,

and that last prescription

I had to take...

made my mind

hard to describe.

Next time I won't be here

because I am taking

the entire prescription

I hope their is no afterlife

because I have had enough

of scribes.

With luck if their is one

an afterlife where you

don't describe, scribe

be descriptive or

be prescribed.

Oh no I have run out of

words: maybe life

is something something else

prescribed, so that I may

describe.

So here's the problem.  Some may disagree, but contrary to everything that is known about the evolution of the written English word, you've asserted that particular letters have some underlying meaning.  Since you've provided utterly no evidence to support your claim, and since you've failed to refute evidence against your claim, it is easy for me to dismiss your claim entirely.  Somehow, the one that claims letters are uniquely significant can't be bothered to correct basic spelling errors.  Spelling is, one would assume, important if letters have an independent significance.

Since I can't come up with any "non descriptive" words that start with s, can you? Supposing you could, how would that affect your hypothesis?

Edited by JMJones0424

So here's the problem.  Some may disagree, but contrary to everything that is known about the evolution of the written English word, you've asserted that particular letters have some underlying meaning.  Since you've provided utterly no evidence to support your claim, and since you've failed to refute evidence against your claim, it is easy for me to dismiss your claim entirely.  Somehow, the one that claims letters are uniquely significant can't be bothered to correct basic spelling errors.  Spelling is, one would assume, important if letters have an independent significance.

Since I can't come up with any "non descriptive" words that start with s, can you? Supposing you could, how would that affect your hypothesis?

Well, if the words had an s in them, they should be plurals or descriptive, as, we cannot find any that are not, yet can find many that are.

Now, if an s is a descriptive letter, and i suppose it is, then surely the other letters must have some particular meaning? how about the the vowels, every word must contain a vowel, is there a science behind them?

Are you familiar with the golden ratio? let us suppose that when creating the English language, it worked as if there were roman numerals? i mean, i ii iii and vi are mathematical in their images, are they not? what if i were to tell you that there is a image behind every Chinese symbol of ancient mandarin?

Wait a moment, you previously demanded words that started with an "s".   Now you claim all words that contain an "s". Buy a dictionary or take a few moments to look one up online.  It's not like we're dealing with hard-core science here.

Now, if "s" is a descriptive letter, which noone but you claims to be the case, and not even you can provide evidence for why it should be the case, "then surely the other letters must have some particular meaning" -  if you do not at all understand anything about logic.

What in holy hell do you suppose that the golden ratio has to do with English?  Let us no longer suppose.  Stop your idiocy.  Stop supposing that I'll accept your moronic ramblings.  Exclipicty state what you mean to suggest so that the world can see how moronic your assertions are.  Please, do tell, how Roman numerals, the golden ratio, and Mandarin pictograms are related.

Wait a moment, you previously demanded words that started with an "s".   Now you claim all words that contain an "s". Buy a dictionary or take a few moments to look one up online.  It's not like we're dealing with hard-core science here.

Now, if "s" is a descriptive letter, which noone but you claims to be the case, and not even you can provide evidence for why it should be the case, "then surely the other letters must have some particular meaning" -  if you do not at all understand anything about logic.

What in holy hell do you suppose that the golden ratio has to do with English?  Let us no longer suppose.  Stop your idiocy.  Stop supposing that I'll accept your moronic ramblings.  Exclipicty state what you mean to suggest so that the world can see how moronic your assertions are.  Please, do tell, how Roman numerals, the golden ratio, and Mandarin pictograms are related.

They all use logical values to represent a message. this message may be about things comely to us, or about things that are easy to understand for the message writer and the majority of people seeing the message.

What they? You made a specific claim about words starting with the letter "s".  That claim was shown to be false.  Why  do you continue this charade?

I am trying to build bridges, what are you here for? i am trying to find associations, and am glad you are here to help, but you just want to stop me instead of helping, or, doing your own thing.