Science Forums

Infusing Mercury With Helium

sunshaker

Alchemy?

I was wondering what the effect would be if mercury was placed in a vacuum chamber and infused with helium, would the helium perminate between every atom of mercury? would it break mercurys molecular bound?

Could a "base" then be added to attract an electron from the mercury?

Also Could mercury be frozen still containing helium or maybe neon?

In a Solution, the Atoms of two substances are ...

Well, it's hard to express—The atoms are discrete units. They can be finely interlaced but the individual atoms do not interpenetrate each other.

The outer shell of Electrons is going to act as if it were a solid body, keeping all other atoms at arm's length.

A covalent bond is a bit different, but of course Noble gases form very few covalent bonds.

The Nuclei of atoms never get within shouting distance of each other in a solution.

Saxon Violence

The freezing point of Mercury is -38 degrees F, We have mercury vapor lamps on our farm and they are not frozen even at -50 F.

As for neon and Mercury, many neon lights are exactly that combo, I have never heard of one freezing up in even the coldest of weather.

As soon as you put Mercury under a vacuum it's freezing point is greatly reduced. As for the gasses, their freezing points are amazingly low to begin with, the mercury will freeze long before the gas does.

Why is it that you want the gasses to be in a frozen state between the mercury atoms?

Thanks for replies,

Firstly i was thinking about graping 1 electron from Mercury as in alchemy to produce gold, I was thinking this would be easier if mercury was in a vacuum and perminated with a noble gas to separate the mercury into separate atoms, as the valence shells of nobles are full, Which would allow a "base" to be added to attract an electron from the mercury atoms.

Only a thought,

Then it got me thinking about how mercury becomes a good conductor when frozen, but is of an high density, which got me thinking if an noble could be trapped within frozen mercury what effect would it have on the crystalline form and the density and conduction of frozen mercury.

So i have no set goal, just thinking on mercury for awhile.

sunshaker.

Gold is not actually very hard to make, the problem is that costs wayyyyyyy more in electricity to make than it does to buy it. My HS astrophysics teacher actually calculated out the estimated cost of making it, it was an ungodly figure.....

If you want gold, go digging for it, not hard to find and a lot of fun.... you aren't going to get rich or make a day job of it, but I have a friend that gets enough in a few trips each year that if he was to sell it he would make around $500 a year or so.

Gold is not actually very hard to make, the problem is that costs wayyyyyyy more in electricity to make than it does to buy it. My HS astrophysics teacher actually calculated out the estimated cost of making it, it was an ungodly figure.....

If you want gold, go digging for it, not hard to find and a lot of fun.... you aren't going to get rich or make a day job of it, but I have a friend that gets enough in a few trips each year that if he was to sell it he would make around $500 a year or so.

I myself have no wish for "gold", many years ago i buried what gold i had rings/necklaces etc, I gave it back to the earth.

But the idea of a camping holiday, Out in the wilderness, Panning a river somewhere sounds good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replies,

Firstly i was thinking about graping 1 electron from Mercury as in alchemy to produce gold, I was thinking this would be easier if mercury was in a vacuum and perminated with a noble gas to separate the mercury into separate atoms, as the valence shells of nobles are full, Which would allow a "base" to be added to attract an electron from the mercury atoms.

Only a thought,

Then it got me thinking about how mercury becomes a good conductor when frozen, but is of an high density, which got me thinking if an noble could be trapped within frozen mercury what effect would it have on the crystalline form and the density and conduction of frozen mercury.

So i have no set goal, just thinking on mercury for awhile.

sunshaker.

Electrons have nothing to do with something being mercury or gold, you would have to change the nucleus of the atom to change one element into another. I'm not sure why helium is part of this, care to explain in detail?