Science Forums

In search of G

quantum quack

In search for G

Once upon a time in a not to distant present, lived a man that every one wanted to find and understand. His Name started with the letter “G” and some called him Gravity and some called him God.

For thousands of years people everywhere have been looking for him. The scientist, the physicist have spent millions of hours in the pursuit of “G”. The religious people have spent thousands of years defending him and ideologically supporting his existence.

All they knew was that “G” could be felt and not seen and that he was a very attractive proposition for finding him made one like him. If one could feel his attraction one was a part of him. And of course through out reality one could feel his pull. But the attraction was from all directions and we all stumble trying to understand where to start looking for “G” was every where. and no where at the same time.

The scientists called him a weak force and the religious people called him the strongest force. A lot of people couldn’t care either way and couldn’t decide what he was.

But any way, “G” was pretty smart because he knew that if he stayed out of sight and kept every one chasing the wrong tail he would stay unknown for longer but he also knew that one day some one is going to find him and he will become known.

He knew that the best way to hide was in fact not to, in fact he knew that if he put the answer right in front of the people looking for him that they would never find him.

Then one day people started to realise the truth. That the “G” they were chasing was actually themselves and that when they looked in the mirror they could feel him by simply feeling themselves. For “G” could only be felt and not seen.

care to comment ;)

I don't understand a single thing of what you wrote...are you saying gravity exists only within ourselves?

ha.....no I am not...

the story was designed to prompt thoughts about what we infact define as "ourselves'

we are after all just as much space time entitiies as a moon or a star,,,,etc.....zero point dimensionalism, mental monoism, and the question of what are our actual boundaries and are they as boundless as the universe it self?

but really not to be taken too seriously............

I suppose I am drawing a correlation between the search for what is God and what is gravity. It could be argued that they are essentially the same thing. If one sees god as everything and space time as everything then there is an obvious similarity between the two concepts.

possibly the only difference being concepts of Intelligence that god is often deemed to have.

By the same token we as animated bits of spacetime who also have what some may consider intelligence would make spacetime potentially intelligent simply by default of our presence as a small but important part of it. "the whole".

in essence science will argue that we know of gravities existence by it's effects, and religion will argue that we know of God's existence also by his effects......see the correlation??

I suppose I am drawing a correlation between the search for what is God and what is gravity. It could be argued that they are essentially the same thing.

Well, I don't see the relationship between gods and gravity.

in essence science will argue that we know of gravities existence by it's effects, and religion will argue that we know of God's existence also by his effects......see the correlation??

Yes, I see what you're getting at but I disagree of course. The distinction is that we can observe and measure gravity, predict how it works and make precise calculations (for example, how to put satellites in orbit). I don't see how we can do the same for a god.

I see.

You are trying to draw an analogy between God and Gravity, because they both handily starts with the letter "G". But I'm sure the English-speakers of this world don't have copyright on Gravity (well, I hope not), and in Afrikaans, for instance, Gravity is called "Swaartekrag". So there goes that idea.

But interestingly, nonetheless, if we start off with the understanding and acceptance of God's omnipotence, and his ability to do absolutely anything, and we keep in mind that nothing can be done without the required expenditure in energy, and we also keep in mind that the universe is infinite, it follows that:

a) If God can do anything (being omnipotent), and

;) the universe is infinite, and

c) we assume God is in control of everything, then

d) it would require an infinite amount of energy to do what he does.

Now, the only infinite source of energy in the universe is the universe itself. Which means that if there is a God, God has to be the Universe, and the Universe has to be God. There cannot be any other form of omnipotent deity.

So - either God is the universe itself, or God is not omnipotent.

QED

Bloody hell - got myself caught up in another religious thread...