Science Forums

Gravity And Electromagnetism As Spacetime Structure Disturbances

pogono

Another reason, which you didn't consider, was that nobody was interested in responding. There comes a point where I myself will just leave things as they are knowing that however correct and solid the argument is will claim its wrong. There's just no arguing with people like that so I stop. Or there are times where I've made the point I wanted to and don't want to say anything else. Doing otherwise is how flame wars start and its why A-wal is so rude so often.

Maybe you're right. But to me, if ever somebody brings an argument that makes me understand that I'm proven wrong, I'll admit  it instantly. And that's why I'm not tempted to stop discussing. I'm looking for being proven wrong. That's the only way I know of adding to my knowledge. Learning by heart improves my memory, nothing else.

That's from the person who's learning side. Not the person who's teaching side. In my experience, all too often members of discussion forums either refused to admit their mistakes or their understanding of physics was so poor that they couldn't understand the explanation. As a result they refused to admit they were wrong and continued to provide bad arguments or there was a straw man present which distracted the conversation like the one A-wal introduced when he took my argument about one observer and two cars in one frame and then extended the analogy to all frames, which was totally irrelevant to the point I was making.

Here I felt that I said all that I could and should say and that's why I ended my part. It had nothing to do with you being right or wrong. There are times when I just don't want to continue a conversation since I don't see anything to gain from it. Nothing more and nothing less. But if you wanted to learn more from me then all you'd have to do is contact me in PM and I'd be more than happy to do whatever I can to help you, if you need/want it of course.

Re - From what I saw, there's only one member.

The forum is hidden from people who aren't members. All they can see is what's on this page when the member is logged out - http://www.newenglandphysics.org/amateur_forum/index.php

The statistics at the bottom show the total number of members, which is 20. As I said in the PM that I sent you, all members are hand picked by me and other members. They're chosen for their desire to learn physics, to share their ideas with others, to try to help others understand physics and to discuss physics, all while never being rude to anybody and keeping an open mind. The ability to admit their mistakes is a requirement as is their good manners. From what I've seen so far you have all these traits. Please notice that I never said that a requirement to join is that you have to believe what we tell you. Lol!!  You do have to follow the scientific method though. Any new theory, including introducing science that doesn't use the scientific method, can be discussed but only in the forum entitled New Theories.

Would you like me to give you a temporary membership so that you can browse around and talk to the members there to see how they like it? You can also take a look at some of the conversations there.

Actually you can do it as easily as I can. You need to write in your e-mail address to join. And you must agree to the registration terms which are too long for me to copy here. So please go to the site and register. If for some reason you have to have me do it then please send me your e-mail address. I'll then send you the registration terms and the URL to the forum rules. If you agree to all of that then I'll do register for you. But I'm confused as to why you need me to do that for you. Please explain. If you're just being difficult then perhaps you don't have the temperament to become a member.

I'm not being difficult; I'm being cautious. And if I can’t be cautious, you’re right, I don’t have the temperament to become a member.

But this remains to be seen; so I’ll go and register.

Thank you.

Ok. It's done. The rest is up to you.

Edited by Andrex

• 3 weeks later...

Hubble's constant is 68,7 km per sec per megaparsec. A megaparsec is a "distance" so it can be seen like a metric of the universe.

Sorry, was away from civilization (or at least easy internet access) for a month.

This sounds for me like you used the word metric not like the metric in GR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_tensor_%28general_relativity%29  but just like a measure and if this is the case you are free to use Megaparsec as your main measure of the universe, but you'll have to allow me to say that the Hubble constant is 0.0687 km per sec per kiloparsec and hence state that the kiloparsec is the fundamental measure of the universe.

What I mean by all this is that the unit of measurement we use are just a standard without any physical reason for the choice (remember in Paris there is a rod defining the meter, although the meter has now a more robust definition: distance travelled by light in 1/xth of a second), so there is nothing fundamental about a Megaparsec...

• 3 months later...

Another reason, which you didn't consider, was that nobody was interested in responding. There comes a point where I myself will just leave things as they are knowing that however correct and solid the argument is will claim its wrong. There's just no arguing with people like that so I stop. Or there are times where I've made the point I wanted to and don't want to say anything else. Doing otherwise is how flame wars start and its why A-wal is so rude so often.

Pmp is guilty of charge he accuses others of, to the Nth degree! The people he accuses of claiming his solid arguments are wrong are just responding to his inability to explain the subjects he claims to understand. If it was explained in the right way by somebody who actually knows how the model works they'd be no problem. The problem is him.

He is the perfect example of somebody who completely overestimates their skill level, uses ad hominem arguments to deflect from their inability to make real ones, misinterprets virtually every counter argument in order to put up strawman after strawman to beat down and a somebody who will never admit they're wrong despite making constant fundamental errors that somebody with the level of understanding he pretends to have would never make.