Science Forums

Lounge rambling

Queso

Haha... there is no middle of the road, is there? Well, I will admit that on some topics I do think I know everything (even though I know better...) and on other topics I know very little. I'll be the first one to say when I'm in territory that is unfamiliar to me.. not only because I don't want some new person to take what I say to be right when it more than likely is not, but because I usually am looking for what actually is right, myself. Ah well. I am, as they say, the proverbial smart a$$. :naughty:

• 2 weeks later...

most seem to know everything... perhaps it's just passion, though. science attracts controversy, so those passionate about subjects often feel the need to chime in even when they don't really understand what's going on.

heck, i've done it a few times.... :turtle:

most seem to know everything... perhaps it's just passion, though. science attracts controversy, so those passionate about subjects often feel the need to chime in even when they don't really understand what's going on.

heck, i've done it a few times.... :turtle:

No big thing bumab, haven't we all...............................myself included. Boy that was tough to get out of my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehe. :turtle: I do the same. Or, if I don't, I sit there trying to think of something... anything... to say about it, when it means that much to me.. when I have nothing really to contribute :cup:

Yes niviene, we're all guilty but that's what the lounge is for. It's a place where small talk takes presidence over scientific proof and philosophical logic. There's a commercial for Peter Paul almond joy bars that goes; sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. The former is how you may feel when posting in the lounge. It's just a good place to let off steam without, of course, mentioning any names or directing any critcism. Just a place made for fun, and believe me, I have found it to be a place of refuge after many heated discussions that I've involved in elsewhere at these forums.

Oh, after some of the stuff I've seen here, I believe it. :turtle: Some of the things we get into here are enough to draw in (or out) the stronger emotions.... There was a time when I was new to the net that I let everything that I didn't like bother me. Now it seems like people sometimes post just to get that dig in... and I feel like if I let it get to me, they win. Well, I dont' enjoy losing... so I have to ignore a lot of things. Of course, being a cop for a few years was a big help in that department - learning to just kind of grin and bear it. I was never good at that before. It's nice to have a place here to retreat and vent or relax to still be among minds I respect without the stress. :cup:

It's nice to have a place here to retreat and vent or relax to still be among minds I respect without the stress. :rant:
Absolutely niviene, you know the one thing that I've learned from my participation at these forums is that all types of personalities will still be present here as well as in real life. Just because we assume that these forums should attract the more serious type individual doesn't mean that will always be the case. I've found that there are basically three different kinds of individuals that populate these forms.

First type: Those that seemingly have a need to convince others that they personally have all the answers. Typically this individual will seize upon every opportunity to point out the slightest deficency in anothers understanding. My question for them would be; if they already know everything there is absolutely no need for them to waist their time here.

Second type: Those that have a limited understanding about various subjects which they find interesting and have chosen this medium as a vehicle to further their understanding.

For these individuals I have all the respect in the world, for the truth will stand when nothing will and to seek after the truth is an honest pursuit.

Third type: Those gifted individuals that truly care about sharing the information which they have acquired thru either a brilliant mind or just hard work. This type began their study with the same attitude that type #2 has, knowing that there were facts that they needed to learn and an understanding that nobody knows it all.

I personally respect type #2 and #3 but have no time or respect for those that fall under category #1.

First Type: sounds like my father. Can't even sit through a movie with him without him trying to "educate" me about the movie. He still tries to instruct me in how police work is done! But I have noticed a couple of those here - not many, but one or two. I've grown so frustrated with that over being around my dad all this time that I've learned to ignore it pretty well, but occasionally I still really want to say something. Thing is, once you say something about it, you make yourself look like a tool. ;) there's no way to win! ;)

I also respect the other two types... and I thank god there are those type 3s who are willing to hand around and share their knowledge to those of us who would pick their brains clean! I can think of about a dozen names off the top of my head who I consider to be doing a real service by pushing the train of logic and thought on those who are trying to learn... you always see the random kid popping in with a request for someone to do the homework for him, and I always hope that nobody will just do it for them (and so far, I haven't seen it happen, Go Us!), but I love when somebody willingly jumps in to explain things and fill in the gap between comprehensions so that they can figure it out on their own.... Anyway, I often find that I learn something in those cases, too, and I appreciate and admire anyone who is willing to teach! ;)