Science Forums

What Is Consciousness?

pljames

What is consciousness if not a awareness of self. I look into a mirror and see me. I am now aware of me externally. But what are thoughts within my mind? Do (I) have existence in my brain and mind and are they aware of me? Am I just brain with a mind and conscious of both plus my external body or more that I don't see? pljames

Edited by pljames

What is consciousness if not a awareness of self. I look into a mirror and see me. I am now aware of me externally. But what are thoughts within my mind? Do (I) have existence in my brain and mind and are they aware of me? Am I just brain with a mind and conscious of both plus my external body or more that I don't see? pljames

Please move to Psychology. pljames

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago "Am I self aware, are you?" Check that thread for some good responses.

Whenever I make a consious effort to realize my existence right here, right now, on this plane in this point of space and time I get a sinking feeling about it. Everday life blurs our self awareness until we take a moment and focus on it.

I think to myself my existence is so short in the scheme of things, and so ingsignificant in the eyes of the universe. Add to that the fact that I don't remember anything from prebirth and there is a good chance when I expire all my present awareness, thoughts, feelings will be gone as well. I'll only have this brief period of awareness with eons of time on either side it. Worse yet I will probably not have the memory of this awareness after death.

Well... so what, I'm not the first human to have grappled with this, I'm just one of billions that have gone before me. I should feel grateful my life has lasted so many years. Some only get 2, 5, 7yrs before they are involved in a car accident or a disease takes them. their awareness is cut so short. Then there are those who don't know what to do with themselves on a Sunday afternoon.