Science Forums

Road Mirage

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it has somthing to do with moisture evaporating from the road, and the refraction of light off the moisture in heat waves coming from the road. This will give you the hazy/wavy like image you see ahead of you, and the image of what looks like water on the ground too.

Experienced desert travellers learn not to be taken in by them, but newbies in the desert have often been tricked. They might waste their last breath running toward hope and then it just dissolves as they get near.

___Similar extant anecdotes have explorers at sea changing course for an apparently nearby shore miraged from over the horizon. No doubt experience plays a role on water as well in regard to a mirage.

___This brings to mind another unusual phenomenon at sea, & this is St. Elmo's Fire. We now know this dazzling light diaplay on the rigging (ropes/mast/yards) as a plasma discharge. Thought early on the work of the devil or evil spirits, experience at least showed it was harmless if not explaining its cause. ;)

___This brings to mind another unusual phenomenon at sea, & this is St. Elmo's Fire. We now know this dazzling light diaplay on the rigging (ropes/mast/yards) as a plasma discharge. Thought early on the work of the devil or evil spirits, experience at least showed it was harmless if not explaining its cause. ;)

whoa.....uhh.....what?????

any pictures of this anywhere??

___I performed a quick web search & found no photos, but lots of descriptive articles & anecdotes. It appears the name St. Elmo's Fire is from about 4th century & contrary to what I said, they say the sailors thought it was good luck. Nonetheless, the effect was extant before the name & I suspect the experience aspect I discussed above accounts for the accord of good fortune to the witnessing of St. Elmo's Fire.

___Anyone finding a photo (I suspect none other than lab simulations) of this please post up a link. ;)