Science Forums

Amanita muscaria

Queso

i was searching the internet for what the government hasn't abolished yet in the psychoactive realm, when i came across a legal mushroom called Amanita muscaria.

i know the active chemical in most "shrooms" is psylocybin, and that's a schedule 1 illegal substance. (if it's not 1, it's still illegal. i forget which one it's in)

what is the active chemical in these mushrooms, and are they psychoactively potent or just a scam?

i recently bought 3 6" cuts of san pedro cacti which had no effect on me at all...so i am very hesitent to trust any of this stuff online.

your thoughts?

Note: these are not for human consumption, of course! ;]

i know the active chemical in most "shrooms" is psylocybin, and that's a schedule 1 illegal substance. (if it's not 1, it's still illegal. i forget which one it's in)...
Speaking as a phamacologist, playing with mushrooms is pretty risky business. The amanita variant you mentioned is famous in pharmacology as the source for the "reference" cholinergic drug, muscarine. (Cholinergic receptors in the human nervous system are either "muscarinic" or "nicotinic").

There are lots of psychoactive agents in mushrooms. There are also lots of lethal ones. The number of young folks that were experimenting with wild mushrooms (in their search for natural psilocybin) that were pushing up daisies soon thereafter is unknown, but real.

From Goodman and Gilman (The Pharmacological basis of Therapeutics) on toxicity from Amanita phalloides:

...The prognosis is grave; death usually oiccurs in 5 to 8 days after ingestion of the mushrooms. Treatment is purely symptomatic and supportive, and includes prolonged rest in bed, opiods for pain, and therapy for shock when indicated....
Sound like quite a hoot to me. 5 to 8 days of reasonably unpleasant experience, I suspect. Do keep in mind that A. phalloides is common in North America.

ok, thank you for the warning as i am well aware of the risks. the amanita family of mushrooms are mostly deadly, it is the muscaria that is said to be mildly psychoactive. i was just wondering what causes it to be psychoactive without psilocybin? but you said there are lots of psychoactive agents in them, so i guess that explains it.

i don't plan on walking around looking for them and eating them, that's something i'll never do. especially with the amanita family.

Cocoa pod shells are dripping with fatty acid tryptamides (FATs). Even a hint of shell accidentally incorporated into the product prior to grinding imparts sufficient FAT content that regulatory agencies go all higgledy piggledy as their high performance liquid chromatographs peg pens to chart recorder limits. Government make-work pork barrel cynosures aside, FATs are only two easy synthetic steps distant from dimethyltryptamine (DMT). Annual planetary raw chocolate production (nibs) was 6.5 million metric tons in 2003. This is sufficient to potentially byproduct about 500 million doses of DMT.

The simple banning of all forms of chocolate and chocolate-derived products will not protect our children. Oh no! The necessary first steps are:

(1) A temporary chocolate tax to finance studies.

(2) A blue ribbon Congressional panel to require raising the chocolate tax.

(3) Granted extraordinary search and seizure powers to protect our homeland against the ravages of chocolate.

(4) Star chamber proceedings, mandatory sentencing, and recurrent homosexual rape during incarceration for anybody who objects.

Only then can we be safe from Chocolate Terrorism, some day.

i was searching the internet for what the government hasn't abolished yet in the psychoactive realm, when i came across a legal mushroom called Amanita muscaria.

i know the active chemical in most "shrooms" is psylocybin, and that's a schedule 1 illegal substance. (if it's not 1, it's still illegal. i forget which one it's in)

what is the active chemical in these mushrooms, and are they psychoactively potent or just a scam?

i recently bought 3 6" cuts of san pedro cacti which had no effect on me at all...so i am very hesitent to trust any of this stuff online.

your thoughts?

Note: these are not for human consumption, of course! ;]

Truly Orby, be very carefull, we need you to moderate the Quite lounge.

thank you very much infamous. i'm eating a fuji apple. have you ever had one? they are quite possibly the best kind of apple ever. amanita muscaria seems to look like a risky POSER amung the psychoactives. :note:

*chomp, chomp, chomp,