Science Forums

Thelepylus

Queso

I just finished reading a book called diary of a drug fiend, by alieser crowly.

in this book he talked about a place called Telepylus(or was it thelepylus, or thelepyus????). it was emphasized on it's own page before the chapter that the place was real, and the teachings there were real teachings. it's this small society of people that go around greeting each other with "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of your law" and the other says something like "love is law, " i don't really remember. they taught each other to focus completely on the whole of their law, and the discovery of their own personal true will.

it was described as a beautiful mountainous place (i'm guessing somewhere in or near europe since the book takes place in london and france)

anyways, although this book was written in the '20's, i was wondering if anybody knew anything about this place, if it even existed, and if it's still around?

it was also said to extremely secret.. ( i couldn't find anything online)

the narrators (husband and wife, severe heroin/cocaine addicts) are taken there by king lamus (who i assume is not his real name) who was a psychiatrist and philosopher of sorts, who helped them truly recover and learn to love again. quite the happy ending!

Orb, Try googling "Telepylus". The Robert Plant site seems to indicate the centerfold of LZ IV is a picture of it (BEAKER might be able to confirm it: he knows more LZ lore than I do!).

I've never read this, and I guess I'm way past being interested, but if it tickles your fancy, be sure you've read my book list in this genre:

• Entire Carlos Casteneda series: yes, most folks think he's a charlatan, but it really does not matter: its great as fiction.
  • "Naked Lunch" by William S. Burroughs, in fact just about anything by him...
  • "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter Thomson, and if you liked that but want something different try "Hells Angels"
  • "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac
  • "The First Third" by Neal Cassady
  • "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe if you want to make sense of it all...
  • And if you like Burroughs, but don't have the stomache for it, just read the entire collected works of Franz Kafka, starting with either "The Castle" or "Metamorphosis"

Happy reading!!!

Cheers,

Buffy

Read some Hubert Selby Jr.... Last exit to Brooklyn or Requiem for a Dream. Both were made into movies, but pale in comparison to the words.

Or Bukowski... Nothink quite like drunken misogynistic writing... Yet ity is somehow briliant. Try Women or any of his poetry (He's got abou 30 books of it or so. you can find a lot of it online as well.)

As for poetry..Walt Whitman(Blades of Grass) is a genius... Alan Ginsberg is good too (Howl.......)

And just to have your brain tied in a knot and to make you wimper...some John Donne (You have got to love The Flea. He uses an analogy of a flea bite as the same as sex to get to a girl to give it up...tricky in the 16th century...)

so is/was it real in the '20's or not....? :shrug:

That was a dubious time for non-fiction and "autobiographies". Even the newspapers were notoriously ficticious in their "reporting". I have only read excerpts of Crowley's work and do not know specifically about the accuracy of it. I believe Anton Levay did some work studying Crowley, but I could be wrong. I have that odd vague half memory of a conection..