Science Forums

Global Warming In The Media And In Fact

phision

Warming and cooling is purely cyclical! CO2 variation is natural! Sure, there are natural cycles. But something very important and very obvious changed over the geologic time scales involved that makes such simple comparison irrelevant: Plants. Lots of plants. Gymnosperms (conifers etc) originated in the late Devonian-early Carboniferous (380-300 Mya) and angiosperms (flowering plants) in the Cretaceous (100 Mya). All that carbon in the Carboniferous coalbeds? Dead plants that took CO2 out of the atmosphere. The downward trend apparent in the graph above from the Cretaceous forward? More plants. And now we've turned the downward CO2 trend around despite a world rich in plants... maybe we can hope that a whole new class of plant life comes to our rescue... but that would require evolution and the science is still uncertain on that too.

I knew something was off about your post because it referred to a non-existent graph. Are you a plagiarizer or a spam-bot, or did you just fail at cut-and-paste and claim the work as your own?

I knew something was off about your post because it referred to a non-existent graph. Are you a plagiarizer or a spam-bot, or did you just fail at cut-and-paste and claim the work as your own?

it is spam. report the post. in this case, the users name is the title of the movie product being promoted, which is why there are no links. there is however a spam link in the profile. i cannot overemphasize or repeat too often that leaving these spammers profiles/memberships intact is all it takes for them to get paid. banning and putting them in a spammer group is no deterrence. report, report, report. delete, delete, delete.

• 1 month later...

This is a good example of the OP's original question. I think we can all agree we are going through a melting cycle, either man made, natural, or a combination of both. I have heard and read several stories like this one about how much methane will be released if we continue to go through such drastic melting.

Since the potential is there for this massive release, the media is running with it. If it's true or not doesn't concern the media they just want headline scare stories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19410444