Science Forums

Apple - itunes problem

nevermind. my computer is totally melting down after i tried to JUST OPEN a .dmg file of a pirated osx tiger. what is this some sort of virus stunt? must be, either way i'm reformatting and i'm frustrated and GAAHHHHH!!! thanks for stopping by!

your pal,

jason

actually i am completely screwed...i can not open my disc drive.

Choose Apple menu > Restart and hold the mouse key down until the disc ejects.

this method does not work at all, NEXT METHOD:

Put the computer to sleep (using the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences) and insert a large, straightened paper clip in the small emergency eject hole of the drive (the location varies, depending on the drive). Push firmly until the disc ejects.

this did not work either.

Use Open Firmware to eject the disc if all other methods fail (this may not work on all computers). To use this method, you have to start up and briefly use the computer using Open Firmware, not the standard Mac OS X desktop. This is a simple procedure-try it if you're feeling adventurous

and neither did this.

my mac keyboard with the eject button was destroyed long ago by a nice tall glass of coke.

why do all of the alternatives to opening my disc drive not work????

i need to open the drive to insert my reformat disc...and i cant...

help. please.

I am not a Mac expert, and I have not tried this on mine, BUT...all cd drives work the same: if there's something wrong with the OS/Firmware, open up the box, leave the power cord connected and then pull the ribbon cable out of the drive. Then fire up the machine and push the button or use the paper clip hole. If this does not work, its likely that the drive tray motor is fried, and even if you got the other disk in, it probably would trap that disk too. You could force the tray open, trashing the tray drive, but the disk may not load straight, meaning it won't read anyway, or it may harm the disk.

Recommendation: get a new cd drive. If you can't extract the disk, pull it out of the system box and take it down to compusa, or disassemble it your self. Its dead, not worth fixing, so radical dissasembly is warranted. These things are dirt cheap, so its not worth repairing...

Cheers,

Buffy

gah, thanks buffy. i got this nightmare of a situation under control now. it's sad...when my computer is down or sick or..well, i realize how much of my life is on here. right now i'm going to get up, and walk away. goodnight internet.

glad it all got solved :(

as to the drives, most cdrom-like drives can be opened without power or trashing the thing, it does require little dissassembly (not sure about the dvd drives, but you'd think that they work the same way). Anyways if you take the drive out of the machine and take a look at the front of a cdrom(and again cd, dvd should not make that much difference) drive(itself), there is a little hole on the front pannel of the drive, most of the time around the volume control knob, anyways, if you take a paperclip, straighten it out, and stick it in the hole, you will find that there is something in there you can push against, well push that thing all the way in, that should unlock the cd tray, and most times move it foreward just enough to where you can get a grip on the lid and pull it out, this freeing the cd inside :hyper:, then you can close it and probably throw it out, because if you had to go through all that to open up that drive, it must have been pretty screwed up anyways...

again it should work on most models, some older drives dont have the thing, but i bet its because people had problems openning them that the developers came up with the little drawer openning latch thingy...