Science Forums

Evaporation Of A Black Hole

jeremyb

But he may do so one day. It is just conjecture and exists without any proof to back it up and may one day be found to be wrong.

You know discussing things with you is like an Atheist and a Theist discussing

things. I attempt to use logic; and then you just lob this one in.

"Oh but he may ... someday"... How does this "prove" anything as you so want to do.

If I construct a weight attached to a spring and I want to "prove" the behavior of the

spring will oscillate based on what input energy I give the weight. Also the my logic

was sound in the derivation of the system and detailed enough, I wouldn't actually

have to build it to show it. Hawking Radiation is just such a demonstration. That is

of a thought problem. Like you I might have questions about his conclusions. I do

not however think the line of reasoning was "unsound".

For example -- how populous can this event horizon be. As the black hole gets

smaller, wouldn't the Pauli Exclusion principle come into play? Preventing below

which more evaporation could occur (I remember seeing this somewhere). Well

it turns out that (assumption here: that because electron as all leptons are thought

of a point-size particles) this is not the case.

So my hesitation is not the conclusion, it is that maybe it might not be best to assume

that leptons are really point-size particles. Maybe they have internal structure. Maybe

this will shown to be true ... someday.

maddog

maddog. You say you have used logic and hint that I have not. A rather pointless argument since it is nothing more than an opinion.

The spring and weight is based on tried and trusted principles. Hawking radiation is just an idea that we presently have no evidence for. Hardly a comparison.

Black holes are said to shrink so slowly that only the smallest will "die" before the Universe ends. So pointless really, even if true.

Electrons have been shown to be as near as makes no different 100% spherical. Point sized is only a matter of going smaller till you start seeing something more.