Science Forums

Fake Doctors

There has been a case of a new surgeon in South Africa, who was discovered, not because his patients died or suffered from his brain surgery but because he didn't have the depth of knowledge. This is a moral question as this situation has been seen before. Should competent surgeons or doctors with no written qualifications be allowed to practice or should incompetent surgeons or doctors, who passed the paperwork, be kicked out on pragmatic grounds? In other words should physical, hands on ability stand for more than intellectual ability, except with regards to paperwork?

personally, I wouldn't want a surgeon working on me without a degree. As far as incompetency goes, there is plenty out there in the medical field. I am not referring to surgeons but all types of areas within the medical profession. Interns working 16 hour shifts can and will make mistakes. Lack of knowledge in triage is problematic as well. So to answer your question

should physical, hands on ability stand for more than intellectual ability, except with regards to paperwork?

I would say no.