Science Forums

The Pyramids

dduckwessel

I have recently begun to wonder the reason why the Egyptians made the pyramids in the first place? It was always suppposed they were strictly burial chambers for royalty but in relation to size, the burial chambers are relatively small (perhaps that was the idea!).

The Egyptian pyramids appear to be unlike anything anywhere else in ancient construction and the following gives a different view of why they played such a pivotal role in ancient Egypt:

http://www.newdawnmagazine.com/articles/a-new-theory-for-the-great-pyramid-how-science-is-changing-our-view-of-the-past

If the pyramids were strictly an agricultural tool then why did the Pharaoh's choose them as their burial chambers?

interesting work. :read:

i have seen a demonstration of helmholtz resonance in a chamber at Malta, but the frequency generated -if i recall correctly- was around that of the brain, ~7.5 Hz and induced an "altered state" in the person sitting at the exit/entrance. i also recall that this structure predates the pyramids. i can't remeber if it was PBS or cable & i can't find the darn thing on gloogle. :clue:

if the great pyramid was a pump, i would expect to see water erosion in the passages if it was used for any length of time, but i have never seen such a description. :shrug:

i suggest a full scale experiment in which we fire up -erhm, water down?- the great pyramid for a listen & look-see. :sherlock:

i suggest a full scale experiment in which we fire up -erhm, water down?- the great pyramid for a listen & look-see. :sherlock:

I know you're not serious but would the Egyptian government even consider allowing such an experiment to be conducted? Supposing a full scale experiment was allowed, how much water would be needed I wonder?

I know what the author of this article is saying here, "Thus, he concluded that the design of the subterranean chamber incorporated fluid dynamics as well as acoustical dynamics..."

- but can you explain what this means - "In his own words, “The dynamics are on par with that of computerised storm analysis: somewhere between hurricane dynamics and tornado dynamics."

I know you're not serious but would the Egyptian government even consider allowing such an experiment to be conducted? Supposing a full scale experiment was allowed, how much water would be needed I wonder?

I know what the author of this article is saying here, "Thus, he concluded that the design of the subterranean chamber incorporated fluid dynamics as well as acoustical dynamics..."

- but can you explain what this means - "In his own words, “The dynamics are on par with that of computerised storm analysis: somewhere between hurricane dynamics and tornado dynamics."

egypt is in turmoil. we'll have to wait.

he is implying -and wrongly so i believe- that the egyptians had mathematics/physics knowledge & calculating capacity on a par with current times. there is no evidence of this whatsoever, the great pyramid notwithstanding. they built by trial & error and scaling things up. it all just makes good theatre. :joker:

It was always suppposed they were strictly burial chambers for royalty but in relation to size, the burial chambers are relatively small (perhaps that was the idea!).
Look how long it took to find some of those tombs. A great idea for who can afford it and is seeking long term privacy with their valuable possesions, eh?

If the pyramids were strictly an agricultural tool then why did the Pharaoh's choose them as their burial chambers?
a) Optimization? b ) Yet further effect to the above?

Supposing a full scale experiment was allowed, how much water would be needed I wonder?
Perhaps as much water as it would have required back then, for a same duration.

“The dynamics are on par with that of computerised storm analysis: somewhere between hurricane dynamics and tornado dynamics."

Amazing indeed, considering that the ecology of the time and place is well known to historians and archaeologists and yet it doesn't seem that either hurricanes nor tornadoes where commonplace. Whirlwinds, maybe; they occasionally come in aroud here from the Mediterranean coasts... or is it maybe the northern Adriatic, where the water gets more easily heated? Possibly it happened of the Nile delta shores too but what they call a tornado is a bigger thing.