Science Forums

Full Moon And Humans

Deepwater6

Ummm I have a question... Why is everyone assuming that the moons gravity is causing changes in human behavior?

so again, there is no lunar effect causing maddness & mayhem with human behavior such as folk believe in. :naughty: i say that again because your phraseology does not make it clear. we are just probing the gravity question because it is one of the mechanisms proposed by those who assume that lunar lunacy is true. :jab:

so again, there is no lunar effect causing maddness & mayhem with human behavior such as folk believe in. :naughty: i say that again because your phraseology does not make it clear. we are just probing the gravity question because it is one of the mechanisms proposed by those who assume that lunar lunacy is true. :jab:

I say again, why is gravity the only effect that is being bandied about in regards to possible reasons why human behavior might be influenced by the full moon? Why couldn't it just be that more light at night influences some people to be more active after the sun goes down? I know it does that to me, once you are outside a full or nearly full moon provides more than enough light to make being out doors more than just possible but down right pleasant.

I say again, why is gravity the only effect that is being bandied about in regards to possible reasons why human behavior might be influenced by the full moon? Why couldn't it just be that more light at night influences some people to be more active after the sun goes down? I know it does that to me, once you are outside a full or nearly full moon provides more than enough light to make being out doors more than just possible but down right pleasant.

:doh: i say again, there is no correlation!!! nada, zilch, zero, none. :naughty: reviews of actual police reports, hospital visits, murder sprees or "lunatic" what-have-you show this irrefutably. your "impression" is an example of the "confirmation bias" that mr. jones mentioned. we are bandying about the gravity business because we can and we like it. :crazy:

:doh: i say again, there is no correlation!!! nada, zilch, zero, none. :naughty: reviews of actual police reports, hospital visits, murder sprees or "lunatic" what-have-you show this irrefutably. your "impression" is an example of the "confirmation bias" that mr. jones mentioned. we are bandying about the gravity business because we can and we like it. :crazy:

Horse feathers Turtle, I am not asserting the effect is true, I am questioning the assumption that gravity is the only mechanism that could account for such an effect if it was true.

Horse feathers Turtle, I am not asserting the effect is true, I am questioning the assumption that gravity is the only mechanism that could account for such an effect if it was true.

:kick: again -with verve- gravity isn't the only possible, i.e. been proposed, mechanism, it is just the one that we are raking over the coals at present. by all means bring up another & we'll have at that too, as we are wont to do. :jab: :moon:

:kick: again -with verve- gravity isn't the only possible, i.e. been proposed, mechanism, it is just the one that we are raking over the coals at present. by all means bring up another & we'll have at that too, as we are wont to do. :jab: :moon:

I already have, the fact that full or nearly full moon allows for activity because of the light of the sun being reflected to the earth. Most humans who see the night as a time to be inside look on people who are outside at night as being less than sane, this effect was probably seen as less than normal way back when we lived in caves. This idea of people who go out at night in the moon light are crazy has been with us for far longer than we've had cops or hospitals.

I already have, the fact that full or nearly full moon allows for activity because of the light of the sun being reflected to the earth. Most humans who see the night as a time to be inside look on people who are outside at night as being less than sane, this effect was probably seen as less than normal way back when we lived in caves. This idea of people who go out at night in the moon light are crazy has been with us for far longer than we've had cops or hospitals.

yes well, that -again- is an example of confirmation bias & we have bandied it about. i have underlined the phrases in your post that apply to confirmation bias analysis. i dare say that you can not change those phrase terms in any manner as to make the conclusion not subject to confirmation bias analysis. :jab: confirmation bias @wiki

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency for people to favor information that confirms their preconceptions or hypotheses regardless of whether the information is true.[Note 1][1] As a result, people gather evidence and recall information from memory selectively, and interpret it in a biased way. The biases appear in particular for emotionally significant issues and for established beliefs. ...

yes well, that -again- is an example of confirmation bias & we have bandied it about. i have underlined the phrases in your post that apply to confirmation bias analysis. i dare say that you can not change those phrase terms in any manner as to make the conclusion not subject to confirmation bias analysis. :jab: confirmation bias @wiki

Again, you are assuming (***/u/me :rolleyes: ) I am not trying to prove or assert anything, i am just speculating as to how the idea of the effect of the moon on human behavior came about. I suspect that humans are somewhat more active at night when the moon is near full but I do understand that the evidence does not support that crazies come out when the moon is full or that the full moon causes insanity.

Again, you are assuming (***/u/me :rolleyes: ) I am not trying to prove or assert anything, i am just speculating as to how the idea of the effect of the moon on human behavior came about. I suspect that humans are somewhat more active at night when the moon is near full but I do understand that the evidence does not support that crazies come out when the moon is full or that the full moon causes insanity.

and i am saying the "how" is "confirmation bias". given your propensity to enjoy arguing with me in particular, i'll leave it to some of the others to respond to your...speculation. (possibly confirming my bias. :rotfl:)

I can say with total honesty that I have been called crazy by many people because of my predilection for being outside in remote locations at night during the light of the moon, from swimming in remote lakes to the ocean shore to fishing and just exploring at night in remote locations the light of the moon does indeed make these activities more enjoyable but the crazy part is the bias of the observer, I never committed any crimes or did anything that would be judged insane other than being there at that particular time. The local long needle pine forests are great places to be at night during the light of the moon, they take on qualities that are hard to describe and the open areas under the pines are... well lets say... fun to explore when the moon changes all your perceptions...

and i am saying the "how" is "confirmation bias". given your propensity to enjoy arguing with me in particular, i'll leave it to some of the others to respond to your...speculation. (possibly confirming my bias. :rotfl:)

<_< where are you getting those emoticons? I don't have access to the ones you use for some reason :doh:

All Hell :innocent: ... er ah I mean Hail, :woohoo: the Turtle :heart: , :lightsaber2: the ultimate hard case :whp-pssh:

<_< where are you getting those emoticons? I don't have access to the ones you use for some reason :doh:

i have many of them memorized. :crazy: you can find them all by clicking on the smilie face in the tool bar of the reply/edit box and then clicking on the "Show All" button at the bottom of the Emoticons box that opens. some old ones still work that don't appear in the list, such as the banana holding a sign with text. this code,

banana
/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif
, gives this emoticon. >>
banana
the sign used to shrink to fit the text, but now it's always the width of the page regardless of the length of the text. let me know which ones you can't find & i will give you the code. :)

here's a blast from the past i think you might enjoy as do i. :D i believe i meet the necessary criteria to display the image below under fair use, as i am using it to illustrate confirmational biases. e.g. naked girls are hot, moontanning is beyond the norm, and that moontanning is a confirmational bias meme.

let's dance by the light of the moon. :alien_dance:

i have many of them memorized. :crazy: you can find them all by clicking on the smilie face in the tool bar of the reply/edit box and then clicking on the "Show All" button at the bottom of the Emoticons box that opens. some old ones still work that don't appear in the list, such as the banana holding a sign with text. this code,

banana
, gives this emoticon. >>
banana
the sign used to shrink to fit the text, but now it's always the width of the page regardless of the length of the text. let me know which ones you can't find & i will give you the code. :)

here's a blast from the past i think you might enjoy as do i. :D i believe i meet the necessary criteria to display the image below under fair use, as i am using it to illustrate confirmational biases. e.g. naked girls are hot, moontanning is beyond the norm, and that moontanning is a confirmational bias meme.

let's dance by the light of the moon. :alien_dance:

i got my nick name, Moontanman, from my tendency to run around on the beach nekked during the full moon, sometimes tequila was involved but i do like the moon!