Science Forums

Global Warming

Deepwater6

I don't remember what they called the process, but that sounds right. They were pulling CO2 out of the atmosphere, and again I don't remember what the cost was, but I'm sure with the right resources it could be made reasonable.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc00098nl

Indonesia just had another quake...

Y'know, Arkane... It's a given GW is happening and has been for some time. I used to think it was man caused, but as of the past few years I've been leaning toward it being a natural cycle. If it's natural, there's not much anything will do to fix it. The best we can do is fight the effects by using our brains to outsmart Mother Nature, because it looks as if she isn't happy with the "carbon units." (...reminds me of Star Trek 1 ). Of course it could be labor pains...

http://earthquake.us...page/usc00098nl

Indonesia just had another quake...

Y'know, Arkane... It's a given GW is happening and has been for some time. I used to think it was man caused, but as of the past few years I've been leaning toward it being a natural cycle. If it's natural, there's not much anything will do to fix it. The best we can do is fight the effects by using our brains to outsmart Mother Nature, because it looks as if she isn't happy with the "carbon units." (...reminds me of Star Trek 1 ). Of course it could be labor pains...

I'm sure humans aren't blameless, but that doesn't mean we aren't going through a natural warming cycle for some other reason. Regardless of the cause some positive action needs to be taken. If cost is a problem, I would ask how much of a cost problem is a rising ocean level? I know a very large percentage of the worlds population lives close enough to the ocean to be adversely affected. So I will ask again, what is a reasonable budget to start taking care of the problem now before the water rises to a very painful level?

I'm sure humans aren't blameless, but that doesn't mean we aren't going through a natural warming cycle for some other reason. Regardless of the cause some positive action needs to be taken. If cost is a problem, I would ask how much of a cost problem is a rising ocean level? I know a very large percentage of the worlds population lives close enough to the ocean to be adversely affected. So I will ask again, what is a reasonable budget to start taking care of the problem now before the water rises to a very painful level?

http://jootbox.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=235532

http://jootbox.websitetoolbox.com/post/Homes-That-Float-and-Roll-With-the-Punches-5651111

The second link depicts a design for homes that address the needs of surviving the worst. The smallest practical model I've estimated would be around $45K. It allows the white picket fence to wash away somewhat gracefully, but not the technological prowess we have developed over the past 5,000 years of recorded history. Currently I'm designing one as a bank that my own bank may be interested in trying oput in Henryville, Indiana where we lost 90% of the whole town earlier this year. I estimate the bank will cost $.25M, but the aerodynamics is designed to resist a tornado. Homes like this should reduce the standard "duck and run" philosophy of fighting back.

http://jootbox.websi...m/?forum=235532

http://jootbox.websi...Punches-5651111

The second link depicts a design for homes that address the needs of surviving the worst. The smallest practical model I've estimated would be around $45K. It allows the white picket fence to wash away somewhat gracefully, but not the technological prowess we have developed over the past 5,000 years of recorded history. Currently I'm designing one as a bank that my own bank may be interested in trying oput in Henryville, Indiana where we lost 90% of the whole town earlier this year. I estimate the bank will cost $.25M, but the aerodynamics is designed to resist a tornado. Homes like this should reduce the standard "duck and run" philosophy of fighting back.

Well I can see you have given this subject some thought on a more personal level. I'd still like to think there might be a broader level solution. I don't imagine floating islands and homes will be practical for most of the population. Even if it was, what about the waste problem it would create. The problem as I see it, once we get more involved with rising oceans, large numbers of people will be displaced from their homes and cities. They will lose everything and no insurance will be able to cover it. Just where do you think all these broke jobless people are going to be displaced to, and who do you think is going to feed and care for them? The obvious solution would be to go to war with people that still have high ground and I'm not trying to be funny here. The social disruption that will be caused will be (Biblical) or just awesome to behold.

Hopefully the rising will be gradual, avoiding the doomday scenario.

But we MUST begin to effect our environment positively.

And that is a collective effort... It doesnt help much if one individual stops smoking.

The early life succeeded in making their athmosphere poisonous for them,

now their descendants live on in our intestines.

Will history be repeated? Will Earth become like Venus?

If there are natural processes changing the athmosphere,

will we help them create a runaway effect?

Edited by sigurdV

Well I can see you have given this subject some thought on a more personal level. I'd still like to think there might be a broader level solution. I don't imagine floating islands and homes will be practical for most of the population. Even if it was, what about the waste problem it would create. The problem as I see it, once we get more involved with rising oceans, large numbers of people will be displaced from their homes and cities. They will lose everything and no insurance will be able to cover it. Just where do you think all these broke jobless people are going to be displaced to, and who do you think is going to feed and care for them? The obvious solution would be to go to war with people that still have high ground and I'm not trying to be funny here. The social disruption that will be caused will be (Biblical) or just awesome to behold.

Don't you think that having a good number of companies around the planet building and shipping those would create enough work for anyone who wants to? The pods are designed as self contained bio-environments. They would be no different than a spaceship on its way to another planet. 18mm Lexan outer layer on those? Common weapons will not penetrate. Aluminum beneath it? EMF's and Flux Compression Events? The pods would lauigh at it all. A direct hit from an asteroid? The occupants hopefully said their last prayers.

If it comes to war, I'm certain the haves would turn to WMD's to stop the have-nots.

Don't you think that having a good number of companies around the planet building and shipping those would create enough work for anyone who wants to? The pods are designed as self contained bio-environments. They would be no different than a spaceship on its way to another planet. 18mm Lexan outer layer on those? Common weapons will not penetrate. Aluminum beneath it? EMF's and Flux Compression Events? The pods would lauigh at it all. A direct hit from an asteroid? The occupants hopefully said their last prayers.

If it comes to war, I'm certain the haves would turn to WMD's to stop the have-nots.

If there was money to be made, I'd say give it a shot. However all those people losing everything they have wouldn't leave them in a position to pay for a new floating home. You might be thinking the process will be slow enough that most will get out with something. But once the tide starts coming in that property owner won't be able to sell at any price will he? Where will he get the money? Will the banks be eager to make loans to all the now jobless losers? I will admit some would still be able to pull it off if they wanted to. But not enough to solve the bigger problem of mega millions of displaced refugees all around the world.

If your looking to make some money, I'd say finding out where the new choice beach front property will be and buy it up now very cheaply and sit on it for your kids and their kids.B)

Hopefully the rising will be gradual, avoiding the doomday scenario.

But we MUST begin to effect our environment positively.

And that is a collective effort... It doesnt help much if one individual stops smoking.

The early life succeeded in making their athmosphere poisonous for them,

now their descendants live on in our intestines.

Will history be repeated? Will Earth become like Venus?

If there are natural processes changing the athmosphere,

will we help them create a runaway effect?

That's my concern SigurdV a "runaway effect"as you call it. I use the term tipping point, but it's the same idea. Once past that point things will change much faster than they do now. It could affect more than just people living near the water. If this runaway effect disrupts planetary tidal flows, adding extreme weather conditions etc. etc. When given some thought this problem is very serious, however through politics (China/USA) and apathy this issue seems too much for the world to come together and solve it. We as a species are just missing it. If this runaway effect ever happens the world will unite to combat the devastation, but by then it will be too late.

That's my concern SigurdV a "runaway effect"as you call it. I use the term tipping point, but it's the same idea. Once past that point things will change much faster than they do now. It could affect more than just people living near the water. If this runaway effect disrupts planetary tidal flows, adding extreme weather conditions etc. etc. When given some thought this problem is very serious, however through politics (China/USA) and apathy this issue seems too much for the world to come together and solve it. We as a species are just missing it. If this runaway effect ever happens the world will unite to combat the devastation, but by then it will be too late.

Yes the rising water is just one aspect of the problem, however a very disruptive part that will be a major distraction to solving the global climate change. Speaking of runaway effects the disruptive distraction part will be very difficult to being under control once the panic starts.:help:

If there was money to be made, I'd say give it a shot. However all those people losing everything they have wouldn't leave them in a position to pay for a new floating home. You might be thinking the process will be slow enough that most will get out with something. But once the tide starts coming in that property owner won't be able to sell at any price will he? Where will he get the money? Will the banks be eager to make loans to all the now jobless losers? I will admit some would still be able to pull it off if they wanted to. But not enough to solve the bigger problem of mega millions of displaced refugees all around the world.

If your looking to make some money, I'd say finding out where the new choice beach front property will be and buy it up now very cheaply and sit on it for your kids and their kids.B)

Right now, I think it's a hunch and I could be totally off in left field, but my WAG is 5 to 20 years. Probably there will be a new "little ice age" then the Yellowstone Caldera basin will likely fracture further and possibly runaway after that. That is one reason I've asked some opinions about the park and its relationship to groundwater.

I think this all is scary, exciting and simply fascinating. 2012? I don't think so. The Mayan astrological computer was comprised of huge, stone gears. Bigger gears? greater backlash. Greater error. Maybe as much as 500 years...

Right now, I think it's a hunch and I could be totally off in left field, but my WAG is 5 to 20 years. Probably there will be a new "little ice age" then the Yellowstone Caldera basin will likely fracture further and possibly runaway after that. That is one reason I've asked some opinions about the park and its relationship to groundwater.

I think this all is scary, exciting and simply fascinating. 2012? I don't think so. The Mayan astrological computer was comprised of huge, stone gears. Bigger gears? greater backlash. Greater error. Maybe as much as 500 years...

If Yellowstone erupts the global warming issue won't be getting much attention at least in north America, and the rest of the world will get the cooling effects of volcanic cloud cover. That may be a bit rough also, but beggars can't afford to be choosy.:fire:

your wealth of misinformation, lack of knowledge, and illogical thinking is staggering. there is no mayan stone-gear computer. there is 1 single incomplete stella that mentions 2012 and what is translated says nothing about cataclysm. >> Tortuguero (Maya site)

could be off in left field? you're not even on the field. you and the others continually posting these ridiculous unsupported speculations in violation of our rules will not stand. :naughty:

Edited by Turtle

I saw a news item that said the huge pile of snow from this past winter is still there in June because of dirt and road grit is insulating it. I believe the recap said Boston. I look at Global warming the way I look at cheeseburger's. It will some day be my demise, but probably not today. Would it be possible/feasible to try and coat at least some of the glaciers and snow packs with a low cost product that would delay the pace of melting?

I would assume it could be applied by planes that operate like crop duster's. Of course depending on what is used it would ruin the pristine look of it, but that is better than your small country going under in another part of the world. I guess my question is how much would we need to insulate to make the melting stop or even let the glaciers grow again from the decrease of heat if we were able to do it?

http://2012forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27941

Are you aware of this speculation? Has there been any other agencies corroborating this that you know of?

If Yellowstone erupts the global warming issue won't be getting much attention at least in north America, and the rest of the world will get the cooling effects of volcanic cloud cover. That may be a bit rough also, but beggars can't afford to be choosy.:fire:

It's a shame we know so little about this type volcano. If it is slow, meaning siphoning and upchucking all the ground waters west of Indiana over a period of years, along with the new underground brine lake toward the western ridge, we likely wouldn't see smoke, ash, rock, lava and fire for another 50 to 100 years. It appears that water would mostly start flowing east, filling in lower basins and meander to the Great Lakes, so there would be plenty of early warning.

It's a shame we know so little about this type volcano. If it is slow, meaning siphoning and upchucking all the ground waters west of Indiana over a period of years, along with the new underground brine lake toward the western ridge, we likely wouldn't see smoke, ash, rock, lava and fire for another 50 to 100 years. It appears that water would mostly start flowing east, filling in lower basins and meander to the Great Lakes, so there would be plenty of early warning.

what is a shame is your continuing to post this tripe on our board. as i so patiently tried to explain to you in your Ground Water Tributories And Connecting Systems I'm looking for information about groundwater systems thread, there is no underground water connection between indiana and yellowstone. ignorance by simple lack of knowledge is one thing; willful ignorance is another. moreover, your continuing refusal to provide references as our rules require is going to stop in short order whether you do it or not.

to the rest of you dear tender readers posting off-topic replies to this thread on global warming, you would do well to heed my admonitions as well. following our rules is not only appreciated, it is required.

I guess my question is how much would we need to insulate to make the melting stop or even let the glaciers grow again from the decrease of heat if we were able to do it?

Excuse me if there is no reference to this idea, since this has been brought up to me as a forum rule a few times. (It's an absurd rule that favors pedants and small thinking anyway... :rolleyes: ) I notice this rule is often broken, so one would see it as up to interpretation, or the poster's judgement call. This, for instance would have no links, YouTubers or current references, but must rely on the memory of an old dude such as me.

When I grew up, Alcoa Aluminum advertized a method of insulating freezer cars for trains by using alternating layers of aluminum foil and newspaper. The ad demonstrated a cube made of the layered material into which a baby chick was placed and the cover, made of the material, sealed her in. The cube was placed in boiling water for the duration of the ad, then at the end the cube was opened and out hopped the chick. I've tested this in my own lab, devoid of the chick, and it works. I thought that might provide an answer to the launch post query.

For some validation of my experiment, look at my avatar. That aluminum cube in the bottom right corner is that experiment in progress. Unfortunately I didn't have a Tenn-Smith break back then... (still don't :( )

Edited by 7DSUSYstrings