Science Forums

Someone you know notice the weather change?!

___Ice Age maybe, but I have my reservations about a Black Hole.:lol:

___Of course, if it really is January 14th in Michigan, then you have apparently time traveled. Here in Washington State on the bank of the Columbia River near Portland Oregon, it is still Thursday January 12th as of this posting. It has rained here for the last 23 of 24 days & continues to rain. I have in that period emptied over a foot (12 inches) of water from my rain gauge & a new heavy rain front is fast moving in.

___They say we have already 30% of our avergae rainfall for the entire year & flooding & landslides continue to threaten & destroy homes, rail lines and roads throughout the entire region. Seems we have your precipitation hostage here Kirk!?:P

___As we have no substantial weather records from people beyond a few hundreds of years, it is indeed difficult to ascertain what constitutes a significant "weather change" over periods of thousands of years.

___Report concluded: that is all. Turtle Over

• 2 weeks later...

I work in a rainforest in Australia. I speak personally with people from every part of the world on a regular basis. I can tell you that literally everybody has an anecdote and a shared opinion that the climate is rapidly changing and they have a personal observation to back up that belief.

What I am seeing is flowers blooming up to two months early which is having a devastating affect because the flowers are out of sync with the insect lifecycles required to complete the pollination process. This means that many lifecycles are going uncompleted and unfortunately this has a flow on affect through the ecosystem. One of the obvious things is that one of our most notable birds (the Cassowary) is struggling to find enough food because less food is ripening. This is altering its behaviour and causing it to roam into residential areas where they are quite regularly killed by traffic and dogs. Its loss, which is now expected sometime in the next 10 years will mean the loss of many of the worlds most primitive plant species. Logically (no money has been spent to amaylse it for sure) these species will be linked symbiotically to many other species and so a breakdown of the ecosystem beginning with the oldest first is now unfortunately a growing possibility. In historical terms these species have survived longer than most others and this for me is a measure of evolutionary success. Its very sad for us here to know that many of the worlds most successful species are unable to survive in our presence.