Science Forums

What makes Creationism so hard to believe in, and evolution so easy?

eMTee

I think the Bible like other religious books contains history at points. I think the Bible also contains insight into both the religious development of a people and other developments too. The Bible, like any other recounting of the past, must be subject to the same measures one is supposed to determine what is true and what is more rightly myth. Its not something one can using proper approaches andmethods of study say is all fact or all fiction. It seems more to be an admixture of both than anything else.

I totally agree and I feel the same way about science!!!

Because mainstream science makes evolution scientifically attractive while they make creationism seem like religious nonsense. The fact is, evolution is junk science and creationism (I prefer the term intelligent design), is correct. Most people associate creationism with God creating all life on Earth which is ridiculous. Intelligent design was done by intelligent people. These people, genetic engineers, came from another planet and created all life on Earth including us. Those alien Scientists were created by other alien scientists and so on. This creation has no starting point. It is an infinite process. One day, if we don't destroy each other, we will create life on other planets as well.

Raelian1: The fact is, evolution is junk science ...

Egads, the ignorant speak up again!

Raelian1: The fact is ... creationism (I prefer the term intelligent design), is correct.

You are wrongly conflating intelligent design with Creationism. Was that done so that you could try to smoothly guide the discussion off topic and into your personal beliefs?

Second, please show that it is indeed fact. .... I'm waiting.....

Intelligent design was done by intelligent people. These people, genetic engineers, came from another planet and created all life on Earth including us.

This post surely should be the start of a new thread in the "Strange Claims" forum.

Intelligent design was done by intelligent people. These people, genetic engineers, came from another planet and created all life on Earth including us. Those alien Scientists were created by other alien scientists and so on. This creation has no starting point. It is an infinite process. One day, if we don't destroy each other, we will create life on other planets as well.
Raelian; congradulations! you've just won the prize for the most bizzare theory! I'm not sure what it is yet but then again I'm still waiting for my coffee cup from the avatar competition.:circle: - Irish eyes?

Raelian; congradulations! you've just won the prize for the most bizzare theory! I'm not sure what it is yet ...

He did let us know in another thread, and even by means of his user name, what overall position he holds ("Hello! I'm an atheist from the Raelian Movement").

The Raelians are the group of people who, several years ago, made front page news and were given interviews by national TV news programs because of their claim to have cloned a human. But then the lady biologist in charge of the project (for some reason, "unique" make up style comes to mind) couldn't support the claim. That's how most of the population might know of them, but they existed long before then and that's not what they were all about. What Raelian1 expressed about aliens is the Raelian's belief, not something he himself came up with.

PS: I chose to label Raelian1 as a male simply because using gender-indifferent terms got to be too cumbersome.

The problem is not the gaps, but that the gaps are so uneven. We might expect to see a reasonably even distribution of fossils (and gaps in the record) over time, within the bounds of the liklihood of a particular phylum to fossilize...

Wouldn't mass extinction events tend to result in a concentration of fossils for that particular time, whereas the normal cycle of life and death is a bit of a lottery as to whether you even get any fossils at all (ref: Buffy's quote earlier)?

The recent programs on super volcanos prompt me to think that the high resultant death rates across the planet over a relatively few years due to the drastic climate changes could affect the "fossil density" associated with that time.

Also, the nature of a mass extinction event would have an effect -- some events would annihilate the lifeforms so completely (especially locally) that no fossilisation is possible local to the actual event, meaning that entire species may be completely lost to the fossil record, especially if it only ever developed in a small area, such as an island.

Maybe we should expect the gaps in the fossil record to be uneven.

... within the context of Adam and Eve there is somewhat of a timeline, about 6000yrs ... In reality, it does not say that there were no "humans" before Adam and Eve.

In fact, the end of Genesis 1 confirms this, in my view, when it states that God created man and woman and told them to be fruitful and multiply all on the sixth day. Doesn't really leave much time for the whole Garden of Eden business with the six actual 24 hour days creation that the 6,000 year old Earth "theory" implies, does it?

I would just like to add a couple of comments..The Bible is a little something I have studied quite a bit...I have to say I don't think there are too many people who believe the Earth is 6000yrs old, on the contrary, within the context of Adam and Eve there is somewhat of a timeline, about 6000yrs..It has nothing to do with the age of the planet, as a matter of fact the Bible states the Earth could have taken an unlimited amount of time to become, (the earth). In reality, it does not say that there were no "humans" before Adam and Eve.IE:

...on the contrary, within the context of Adam and Eve there is somewhat of a timeline, about 6000yrs..It has nothing to do with the age of the planet, as a matter of fact the Bible states the Earth could have taken an unlimited amount of time to become, (the earth).

I don't recall EVER, running into a single passage in the Bible that indicates that the Earth could have even POSSABLY been older than Adam/ and Eve's time on Earth.

The Bible NEVER states that the creation process of the Earth could have even POSSABLY taken more than 6 days...The Bible never gives any indication that the Earth could have taken an unlimited amount of time to become the Earth.

Most people associate creationism with God creating all life on Earth which is ridiculous.

Intelligent design was done by intelligent people. These people, genetic engineers, came from another planet and created all life on Earth including us. Those alien Scientists were created by other alien scientists and so on. This creation has no starting point.

This is another evolutionist theory, Because it requires evolution to be able to work.

What makes this idea less rediculous that the idea of a god creating all the Earth and universe?

What makes creation so difficult, that one has so much trouble believing it?

It depends. If you don't really want to know how it happened, or if you don't want to acknowledge that you don't know everything, then I suppose it's easy to believe in the many creation mythologies we have invented. All one has to do is to disregard plenty of evidence, shut one's eyes from the lack of evidence in support of the myth one has chosen, and steer clear from books.

Not a very satisfying approach.

I read all about the theories that evolution is made of,

Good!

I read all about the theory that creation clames to be true.

Well, depending on what creation myth you chose to believe, you could incorporate evolution in it. But why rely on myths at all?

What do you believe is true, and why? and why not the other?

Evolution does seem to have plenty of evidence to it. No creation myth comes even close - in fact, many of them go straight against evidence, and people don't even care. Some creationists believe one can pick and chose and that they are all theories on equal levels. They're not.

I read all about the theories that evolution is made of

Having read through the entire thread now, I wonder if you can elaborate on this. I don't believe for one second that you have read "all about" the theories that evolution is made of.

So please, what have you read? Which books?

You all can simply explain in sciebtific form, all of the ways evolution works in the big picture. But are you not boggled at the small things when in great detail they are so put togeather with hundreds, thousands or maybe even millions of vital parts? Consider the human eye for only one example. you look at the Earth and you see just a glimps of what it is, the further you look, the more detailed and complex it is. don't you like a life with no complications? you cannot get it here on Earth...and you choose evolution...it is so complicated, and gets even more so with every look you take...and just to think, it all happened by chance....How much of a chance will you have that you find a ancient 400 AD cell phone in the findings you find?

To believe in creation...it seems more likely, because it does not have so much scientific complications.

I hear alot about the way the big picture evolved, but what about the zillions of parts that make it up?

This is just a scientific question: can everything be made up of the malicules of water? not hydrogen and oxygine, but the things that make them up also

Consider the human eye for only one example. you look at the Earth and you see just a glimps of what it is, the further you look, the more detailed and complex it is.

In other words, "Gee it's just so darned complex that there just must be a God". That's the entirity of your anti-evolution, pro-Creation argument?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Can you point to the singlemost troubling part of the human eye that bothers you: the one thing that really makes it clear (to you) that the human eye CANNOT POSSIBLY be the product of evolution but rather MUST BE the product of design by a putatitve supernatural being?

eMTee: ... and just to think, it all happened by chance....

Nope, that's just the Creationists' strawman version of evolution. Try discussing the REAL evolutionist's position.

eMTee: To believe in creation...it seems more likely, because it does not have so much scientific complications.

It requires no thinking or reason to believe in Creationism. You just blindly accept that "God did it". Where's your evidence? What about all the evidence against Creationism?

eMRee: This is just a scientific question: can everything be made up of the malicules of water? not hydrogen and oxygine, but the things that make them up also

You can't even ASK a meaningful scientific question!!!

Shows us how little you know about science.

NO, everything cannot be made up of the molecules of water. For example, water contains no carbon atoms and life is carbon based.

But then your next question is inconsistent with that, your first, question; even though you present the second as if it were some kind of clarification on the first.

Can any Athiest look at somone bluntly and say with an honest answer that they honestly believe that evolution is the way and has all the solid proof and evidence that they have no question about it being the truth? yes or no?