Science Forums

Blind ignorance

zephyrus17

I agree it is unreasonable to say that "Christians think..." Christians may have a lot of differences but the key commonality is their irrational belief in Biblical myths and superstitions, not thinking.. .
LG- You get the award for the most biased post I have seen on this site. And as I recall, you once suggested that you seldom offer opinions. Interesting commentary on your introspection.

I would like to offer that Christians are remarkably heterogeneous in both practice and philosophy. It is an unreasonable to say that "Christians think...." as it is to say that "Americans think...".

I think this all tends to depend upon the part of the country involved also. Here, in what's known as the Bible belt some Christians would take offence at Yoga. Part of this is based upon the connection or roots of the practice out of eastern religions. Generally, the one's who do complain about the devil connection might cite not having any other gods, etc. Some do link yoga with Satanism seeing all other religions and their practices as tools of the devil. Personally, I never found Yoga to be anything actually religious at all. Its more just a way to calm and center oneself. Rather like taking a deep breath or two or closing ones eyes for a short thinking spell, perhaps. I would agree with government funded affairs should be devoid of religion period. Private run things like races, etc are a whole different issue and if those who sponsor and run such events want to have prayers before say the start of a game then its their choice no matter who likes such or not.

As to religion and America there are times I'd say it has too much influence here. There are local school boards in this country where the local religious right has a strong influence on a lot of their decisions. One could question why do they not listen more to the majority? The problem is, say here where I live the vocal majority of those on the board and who speak out locally are part of the religious right to begin with. I have small debates with my own teens about why does the school board decide the things they do about dress codes, etc. There is actually a few reasons:

1.) They are trying to prepare them for work in the normal community around here. Face it, showing up with pearchings will not get them generally employed in most of the work place around here.

2.) We tend to have a school board locally that is rather way behind the times when it comes to the youth today. These men and women tend to all be strong church goers from the older conservative sects. Its a wonder they don't have the kids all in school uniforms yet. In fact, they have plans to do something just like that. They almost all come from the older kids should be seen not heard sort of camp. Most still adhere to the old spare the rod and spoil the child religious thinking and in fact, while seldom employed it is still allowed here under State statues.

3. Ever since a few major incidents in this county the school boards have gone parnoid. I a bit back paid a visit to my old HS. Personally I'm glad I do not attend that school now. We simply had a lot more freedom back then to express ourselves than now. Its almost like a police state on the campus there today. Here again, one encounters the old Bible belt mentality running the whole affair.

All of this to me is in direct conflect with our constitution which is supposed to have the state and church seperate. In short, what we get here locally is Church run and dicated public schools where almost everyone from the School board down to the Principle are Good Old boys, all members of the local Church, mostly Baptists and Pentecostals, who promote their own religious colored morals, etc with the State supported agency of education via government funds. But then again why not? This is Bush's home State and last I seen he's promoting a war of sorts over religion and ethics himself. Though he calls it something else.

PS: Before anyone labels me I am a Republican by nature. However, I'm part of the republican real majority who favors the moderate position on issues not the vocal, so-called moral majority that actually controls the party at present. Personally, on the last election I favored throwing out all the bums and starting over. In keeping with the ad that shows up on this page I'd like to warp all the good old boys from both camps to one of those theocratic states Fishteacher eludes to and we might just end up with a country a bit better off in the end run.

Blind ignorance is rather a fitting term when it comes to a lot of things. Recently in the Dallas News there was a short article about NASA taking risks again when it comes to the shuttle. Space exploration weither we like it involves risk. Anything out there in life from love to exploration involves risk. Its pure blind ignorance that one can ever have a space program without risks. All the Congressional study out there may say such and such. But boil it down we get into space a few at a time strapped to what basically boils down to one hell of a bomb. That's the facts and that's the risk involved. Can one hope to lower the risks? Yes. Eliminate them all. Never short of grounding everything manned.

Every morning when we get out of bed for that lovely traffic rush/crawl to work we all face risks. Usually the odds are more against us there than on a space shot. This is life and weither the ignorant out there like it or not risk is the name of the game.

Christians of say the fundamentalists and conservative type say most of us risk daily eternity in hell. The fundamentalist Moslums would perfer we all got there a bit quicker. All of these in my book stem from ignorance as does intollerance of all types.

But is that ignorance really that blind? I doub't it is. We for one here in America live is what could be defined as a well educated nation as a whole. We have freedoms here some people out there in the rest of the world only dream off. Yet, we still have ignorance here in this country. No, its not blind. These people have eyes to see and ears to hear and simply do not care. They love and support their ignorance and think its the way, the truth, so to speak.

There are not many that are truly free from religious influence and law. The Us is about the onl;y one that I know of.

Then you must be unaware of how much influence the fundamentalist Christian right has over the current U.S. administration. Even here in Australia, the right-wing conservative Christians seem to hold sway over Government policy, aided by the tabloid print media and arch-conservative television station owners.

I agree. Waging entire wars, carrying out massacres and persecution, torturing and killing people just because one happens to think that one's own imaginary friend is better than the one worshipped by the other side, is simply mindless, barbaric, stupid and wicked.

Yes, the current war against Iraq springs to mind.

I agree it is unreasonable to say that "Christians think..." Christians may have a lot of differences but the key commonality is their irrational belief in Biblical myths and superstitions, not thinking.. .

I agree. If they would rather believe something that is obviously either not true or unnecessary and irrational, then why not at least be honest about it?