Science Forums

[Interview] Craigd Shares His Thoughts

Hardly a few members do not know CraigD. The bridge between the various staff groups and between the userbase and the Hypography staff, he is the essential link that connects the various nerve centers of Hypography together , and hence keep it functioning as one unit.

He kindly agreed to answer a few questions..

>SO, HOW MANY YEARS HAVE PASSED SINCE YOU WERE INTRODUCED TO HYPOGRAPHY?

I’ll be having my 5 year anniversary on 5/23.

>WHAT DO YOU DO AT HYPOGRAPHY?

Though my badge says “administrator” – which has a few additional privileges –I see my staff role as that of a moderator: trying to assure the forums run smoothly, and everyone has an enjoyable and educational time. As with any moderators and administrator, I also like being a member: reading and responding to posts, occasionally starting my own threads.

>HOW WERE YOU INTRODUCED TO THIS OASIS?

I don’t’ remember precisely how I discovered hypography. I think I was searching for someplace to try floating my “Starburst Challenge”, and was impressed with the fun being had in Turtle’s Katabatak thread.

>NOW, AS HYPOGRAPHY ENTERS INTO ITS 11TH YEAR, HOW HAS YOUR LIFE BEEN AFFECTED BY IT? IN OTHER WORDS HOW HAS HYPOGRAPHY HELPED YOU?

Hypography has about the same role and impact on me as an informal institution of my college years, “the table”, which was literally a table in the student union where lots of people I knew who weren’t necessarily in my academic division or department hung around talking about all sorts of things at all sorts of hours.

In short, hypography’s my salon.

>EACH DAY AT HYPOGRAPHY IS SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER DAYS. DO YOU AGREE TO THIS STATEMENT OR NOT? IF SO WHY?

I’d likely not use the phrase “significantly different”, because as a statistician, I’m particularly cautious with the word. I’d say every day at hypography brings something new, and almost always interesting.

>HAS HYPOGRAPHY BECOME AN INTEGRAL PART OF YOUR DAILY SCHEDULE?

Yes

>WHAT SUBJECT FIELDS (AS A SCIENCE) YOU PREFER TO STUDY THE MOST?

My comfort zone is anything for which I can write programs – simulators, pure math questions, etc.

What I’ve studied, in the sense of reading textbooks or textbook-like popular books, since joining hypography, has mostly been number theory, physics, computer programming, and most recently, the philosophy/physiology/psychology/sociology spanning realm of “third generation cognitive science”. This latter, which reading in hypography’s philosophy forum prompted me to undertake, is a difficult read for me, as for most of my adult like, I’ve had a fairly strong aversion to “soft” subjects like it.

>HOBBIES WHICH YOU LIKE?

I’ve a hard time distinguishing my hobbies from my profession, as often they overlap, and what was once a personal plaything becomes a work project, and vice versa. However, playing it safe with something I’m fairly confident I’ll never do for a living, I like to fly a small (a BladeCX, about 45 cm rotor diameter) electric remote control helicopter

>HOW WOULD YOU LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW YOU?

Anyway they like ! My experience has been that people will know you that way, regardless of how you’d like them to or not to

Rapidfire

FAVOURITE

ARTIST (MUSICAL)

---I’m eclectic. Last month it was some Japanese pop singer writer who’s name I’ve since forgotten. At the moment, having just seen him and his band on tour, it’s Leonard Cohen.

My wife makes a lot of mix lists, which I listen to, so my favorite artist, style, etc. tends to change wildly from day to day.

BOOK

---Snowcrash

MOVIE

---The Fifth Element

COLOUR

---Red … no blue … aargh! (a Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail reference

GAME

---I don’t have a favorite game, per se, more of a favorite style, for which I know of no well-recognized name. Something like the old colossal cave, multi-user/developer, with a hard SF theme and impeccable physics and epistemologically baffling critical conundrums. Anyone knowing where I can get in on such a game, please let me know

PHRASE/QUOTE

---“When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” I’m not sure I like this famous quotation, so much as empathize with it.

MY DREAM ......

---Doing some traveling off my old home planet, Earth

Ladies and gentlemen, if you'd like to know more about CraigD, please ask your questions here.

Regards,

TBA

For the Hypography Editorial staff