Science Forums

Golf Ball on the Moon

Guest liliangrn

Guest liliangrn

My girlfriend posted a message titled flags on the moon in which she noted that I do not belive in the moon landing as she does. The responses to that were very interesting, as I have always wondered about hoax believers who say that there were astrnomers during the missions who claimed not to be able to see anything and NASA's response apparently being that they were on the other side and similar explanations.

I have heard that the moon takes the same time to orbit the Earth as it does to rotate on it's axis therefore we see the same side of it all the time. Is this correct?

I am hoping that if I post the reason that I first began thinking that the moon landing was a hoax that someone will be able to enlighten me as to the science of it.

I have seen pictures where on one of the subsequent landings to the first one that everyone focusses on of an astronaut playing golf with a golf ball sitting on the moon's surface. Maybe these pictures are not real (I was only a kid) but it occurred to me that if it is true that there is no, or rather very little gravity on the moon how would a golf ball be sitting on the surface?Even if it was a special golf ball weighted down could a golf ball ever possibly hold that much wieght?I wonder the same about the dust in video where you can see dust rise and fall. Could dust stay on the surface in the moon's atmoshere? I am thinking that if it did rise it would simply float away rather than settle back down.

Another thing I don't understand is the temperature on the moon. I have heard that it has a range of 300 degrees which seems very inhospitable conditions.

Enlighten me please.

One more thing if Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon who was holding the camera? I have heard that it was somehow attatched to the outside of the craft???

Hello - if you want to post at Hypography you need to register for your own account. This kind of usage is in violation of our FAQ.

You need to read up on the facts about the Moon and the Apollo program before you buy into the hoax theories.

The link I posted - http://www.badastronomy.com/ - has the answers you are looking for. The book "Bad Astronomy" by the same author is also very good.

Very odd questions for this site, most people here would know this stuff. And I don't understand this...

Hello - if you want to post at Hypography you need to register for your own account. This kind of usage is in violation of our FAQ.

I thought you couldn't post at all without registering for an account. Isn't the "Post quick reply"/"Start New Thread" button only activated after registering???

Anyway you will find your answers at Tormod's link. (FYI, there is some gravitational pull on any body of any mass, including yourself. Although you may not be able have any noticeable affects on anything (even like a grain of sand), the moon definitely has eough mass to hold it's dust and a golf ball on it's surface (the gravitational pull on the moon is 1/6 that of the Earth's, or so they tell us in Physics, so everything on the Earth that weighs, say, 100 lbs (pounds) would weigh 16.6666667 lbs on the moon. A golf ball on the moon would weigh (Yes, it has weight) 7.615 grams. You'll find the other answers in the link (hopefully).