Science Forums

Is Dark Energy expanding our bodies?

philiplaos

Dark Energy is creating more space between galaxies, thus causing acceleration of galaxies away from each other. Since the Universe is not only what is 'out there' in Space, but also what is 'in here' including the sub-atomic particles in our bodies, does this mean our bodies are also expanding due to acceleration of the particles of which we are composed?

No.

Your body is indeed expanding, but that is caused by refined sugar, beer, bacon and fried foods.

Yes, I walked into that one, and you're suprisingly correct about the sugar, beer, bacon and fried foods in my case. Do you know me?

I realise it may be a silly question, but I was hoping that people who know about quantum physics, string theory, time and space on infinitely smale scales, etc., would consider giving me a serious answer. Maybe you did! Was your 'NO' a serious NO based on scientific insights, or a casual NO because it was just a silly question?

It's not a silly question actually. According to my latest readings in this matter, the answer is 'yes'. However, the affect of this expansion can currently only be measured over billions of LY -- over a sizable fraction of the visible universe.

Theoretically, onedaysomeday a few dozen trillion years from now, the affect will be measurable over individual galaxies, and they will start discorporating. A bazillion years after that, the affect will be measurable over distances as small as your body. And eventually, even atoms will not be stable.

But that's just theory taken to an illogically logical extreme.

• 1 month later...

Dark Energy is creating more space between galaxies, thus causing acceleration of galaxies away from each other. Since the Universe is not only what is 'out there' in Space, but also what is 'in here' including the sub-atomic particles in our bodies, does this mean our bodies are also expanding due to acceleration of the particles of which we are composed?

Harrison Ford, Indiana Jones, is on an airplane with maximum speed about to crash into a mountain. The force is constant and maximum and so he lightens the mass of the plane by throwing everything not bolted down overboard. The plane follows Newton's law F= M x A and the decreasing mass increases in acceleration and the plane makes it over the mountain.

Now let's have some mind blowing creative fun, the force of the big bang had nothing to slow it down, gravity doesn't pull it a wave tension reduction from the back action of wave front formation, and since it is a natural decay process of all matter and energy, measured mass is decreasing ad it is decaying into the gravitational wave, therefore since the force is constant and the measured mass is decreasing then the remaining mass is increasing in acceleration. The overall effect is that mass decreases as space increases resulting in a decreasing increasingly accelerating mass. Are we personally expanding? No not in the since you asked about because the accelerating universe is a result of a process with an original force that is constant on a planer dimension. So not on our level is the expansion, expanding. We have our own galaxy, mini universe that is not expanding within the overall expansion.