Science Forums

G20 summit turns Toronto to police state, just who screwed up?

GAHD

But it doesn't really seem as if they want to avoid the violence.

Belgium/Holland, who cares. The argument stays the same.
That wasn't what I meant.

Try driving in Naples, down in Southern Italy. The signs are there, they put them up even though they know they'll get ignored. The people of Naples seem to think the stoplights must be left over from the days when psychedelic lights were the rage in the discoes. Most places there's hardly a difference between road and sidewalk, they might as well be all one. It's always been just like in Friesland, only not by Monderman's choice.

As a student, I once shared room with a guy from Palermo, Sicily. He taught me the rule for right of way in the streets down there. Translating into English it means: "You look each other in the face and you see who goes first."

It isn't nearly like that here up north but I once lived a few years in the kinkiest place up here. To the locals, the significance of a stop sign was: "Prepare to wave an apology to anybody that slams on their brakes while you go through."

In contrast, I once read decades ago that in up Copenhagen there was no need for traffic cops to enforce compliance with the signs and signals. In the rare cases of error, all the other drivers simply kept the trespasser in line.

• 4 weeks later...

Our Charter of Rights, which means quite little in reality.

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

Rights and freedoms in Canada

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Fundamental freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(:( freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

© freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.