Science Forums

Deficient & Abundant Number Fun

Turtle

well i figured you'd like to know how large of numbers you're at and 10000 is a fairly good interval.  have no idea why your screen would be locking up at that point, works fine for me.

if all you want is the hits, simply remove the

if n%k == 0:
    print(n)

Roger the want to know. Since there is no evidence of there being other abundant by 3s it might be handy to know where I am at. But then, since it locks and stops displaying it isn't helping. I will note that the banner of the Python box -remember I'm using Portable Python from a thumb drive- says (not responding) when the lock occurs, but that happens with your other code I have been running too. That code though prints to files and not the output box and it is working even if the banner says (not responding). I also know where to change the start point in your old code I'm using which is important because I do have to shut down from time to time to satisfy the demands of Windows.

Oh well; perhaps it's too much trouble pestering you just to satisfy my curiosity. :shrug: Thanks for trying. :partycheers:

just out of morbid curiosity, try putting in

where  have n = 2, n = 100000. if its portable python the problem may be the flash drive byte space. if so i may know a work around but it wont allow you to go a whole lot higher.

OK, but will have to wait a bit now. I actually have 2 thumbies running the old code, each at a different starting point. (6*10^12 and 7*10^12 respectively) Both are 16gig drives so I don't think space is a problem. Anyway, since I shut one down to try this new code I went ahead and shut the other down and did a restart that Windows prompts me for once a week and I ignore once a week. After the restart I went back to both running the old code. Hold on for new try....

I did try the new code again before the shutdown and it output to 110000 that time before locking the display.

hmm. doesn't sound like a byte size problem then.

alright turtle for you, I'll run the code up to 10  billion.

10-4. Thnx P. :)

PS I just have to harp again on not finding any mention of abundant by 3, particularly when abundant by 1 and 2 have received considerable attention. Here's from my OP:

...Quasiperfect number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

No quasiperfect numbers have been found so far, but if a quasiperfect number exists, it must be an odd square number greater than 1035 and have at least seven distinct prime factors.

Not sure how those conditions were established, but have to wonder if we could say anything similar for abundant by 3. Clearly 18 is not odd, but then if...and the... :ideamaybenot:

Edited by Turtle

it's about 10000 per second.  600,000 per minute, 36,000,000 per hour.

10-4. Just checked your other code for polygonal multiplicities that I'm running and get:

66,666 per second

4 million per minute

240 million per hour

5 billion 760 million per day

Not sure if you can do on a single hard-drive what I'm doing with the thumbies, which is running 2 copies simultaneously from different starting points making my effective work done twice what I just cited. I.e. about 11 billion served per day. :dance:   :)