Science Forums

Hi, I am new here

Rodrigo

Welcome, and since this is a science forum, and right into the first correction... You can't actually produce energy, it is an empirical law of physics called the law of conservation of energy, it states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed from one state to another.

Now more on solar panels, magnets and hydrogen:

Hydrogen... hydrogen is great and all, but it is extremely hard to extract, in all currently known ways to get it, there's yet one that will gain more from the extracted hydrogen then the energy required to create it, thus it's great and all to think about the hydrogen future, but we don't have a good way to get hydrogen in any sufficient quantity...

Solar panels. The chemistry required to produce cheap solar panels, as well as the few places where cheap solar panels are made, namely China, and the environmental laws of the region mean that currently most solar panels are made by a production process so dirty that it will take you more then 20 years of operating the panel to approximately even out the amount of environmental damage done by the production process, to the greenhouse gases you would have saved. Thing is the production plants in china dump amongst heavy metals and damaging chemicals, hydrochloric and/or sulfuric acid right into the water reservoirs, and that is very, very bad for the species in that habitat, including the people, it's bad, its very bad now, it won't get better later, unless they stop. But alternatives are slowly coming. Nano technology and organic materials allow for printable solar panels, as well as different other ways to make use of the sun are slowly taking us to a solar-powered future :shrug: Lets hope, at least...

Magnets, magnets seem great, but they need to move to actually generate power, but as of yet, there are very few environmentally not-so damaging ways to do this, how do you propose to move them?

Welcome to Hypography, the only place you know where even your intro post may come under fire from the science-hungry moderators...

Welcome Rodrigo.

Please excuse Alexanderfor launching an immediate attack on a minor factual error in your post. Such ungallant behaviour. We really shouldn't tolerate it.

Now down to important matters. You say you have always been interested in energy production (sic), but surely this cannot be true! As baby, toddler and small child I doubt this would have been the case. You really must be more careful about your use of language.

Yours (in jest)

Eclogite

...You say you have always been interested in energy production (sic), but surely this cannot be true! As baby, toddler and small child I doubt this would have been the case....

I don't know: my mom says that I was particularly fond of Ghirardelli Chocolate from the time I was able to walk...and if that isn't "energy production" then I don't know what is! :D

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces, ;)

Buffy

Please excuse Alexanderfor launching an immediate attack on a minor factual error in your post. Such ungallant behaviour. We really shouldn't tolerate it.

Hey, don't excuse me, i didn't launch an attack at all, i don't launch attacks, how in the world do you even consider that to be an attack? I was being educational in sincerely welcoming someone, which should be self-evident from the fact that i not only had put forth the effort of welcoming someone, but also shared some personal opinions about the subjects he is interested in, and even came up with another "the only place you know" line which can almost be considered a special treat as they are only thought of when someone's intro makes me think and they never repeat! I am always trying to be education. My behavior is almost never offensive on purpose, much, much more often offended, like i am right now, and only extremely rarely offensive, only if someone pushes really hard.

Weell with the second part of your post, i figured that you were being humorous, but i figured to, a, play along and get very defensive, and b point out that there is a lot of thought that goes into those "the only place you know" lines :). No sweat, Eclogite, we are on the same team :(