Science Forums

Why Creation Myths?

paigetheoracle

Why Creation Myths?:shrug:

Why Gods as Men?:eek2:

Could it be that like any new arrivals anywhere, early Man tried to make sense of the world he found himself in and came up with answers that made sense in the context and with the evidence he had available? Think of children's attempts to make sense of the world or moving into a new town and how we have theories about where we are going to, that actual experience alters as we explore our new environment. In other words we shouldn't judge our ancestors too harshly and those carrying the torch for them, should shine it into the dark and dismal alcoves of reality, to discover the real truth as we know it in the present.:evil:

You know, I have what I think an interesting link to that kinda thing, but first, I think yea, it's Man trying to make sense of the world around him and have a reason for things. Kids always ask 'Why?' and I'm sure so did our ancestors.

My interesting link is that, religion was made up to explain things, (arguable I guess, but I bet most people will agree with me) and in that sense it was fallible to many people. Introduce science. Which, is always taught as infallible, and based upon facts and what not. However, the more I've learned in school, the more ridiculous science seems. When I was first learning physics, and we started learning about things like Energy, and Circuit theory, or thermodynamics, or current and charge, which is just a bunch of stuff people made up to explain why things work. It's like complex religion haha.

I guess what I'm saying is, I absolutely agree with you - limited understanding produces the best guess you can sometimes. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong.

In other words we shouldn't judge our ancestors too harshly and those carrying the torch for them

Would those be the torchbearers of today or in a time when creation myths were an acceptable explanation? If the latter then no, we should not judge too harshly. If the former then yes, we should judge harshly.

~modest

• 1 month later...