Science Forums

I Need Help With A Question: Magnetic Elevator

Guest tessiebby

Guest tessiebby

I have just signed up in the hope that someone will know the

procedures in building a magnetic elevator.

I chose this topic because I desperately needed and "A" in science.

I didn't realize that this would be hard and it is too late to choose another topic.

So if someone could help that would be nice. :phones:

If we give you the answer, who earns the "A"? Science is not difficult, science is rigorous in derivation and consistent with empirical observation. If you are not conversant with reality go into the arts, management, or politics.

Google

"coil gun" 51,400 hits

"Lenz's law" 176,000 hits

levitate frog 2 million hits

Jefferson Lab's Workbench Projects - The Ring Fling Machine - Main Index

Uncle Al, you get an A!

Tessie, I think you need to focus on getting a C in this one--meeting expectations. What is the scale of this mock? Is this a theoretical paper or a modeling project? This sounds like a senior undergrad engineering project that requires heavy collaboration between discplines--electrical, computer, mechanical.

Just one avenue:

1. FRAME: If modeling, you could dismantle a few old printers and use the cartridge driver and motor from inside as a basic structure. Or if you need a longer frame you could build it from other extrusions, nuts, and bolts you find at the local hardware store; the cabin can be something cartridgelike. Then, you need some electromagnets AEC Magnetics to mount on the plane board below the cabin and one under the cabin. You also need: a breadboard 2,860 Tie Point Solderless Breadboard with Jumpwires | Virtual Village - US, powersupply that will support the electromagnet voltage and total system power, and the switching circuit.

2. SWITCHING CIRCUIT: You could build your own which requires knowledge of electrical components, circuits, and manufacture; or, you could go to Lego Mindstorms and purchase a controller that will allow you to program up to 8-10 or more switching devices, like LEGO.com MINDSTORMS : Products - NXT 2.0 - 8547.

Once you build it, you can tweak it.

YouTube- MAKE presents: The Inductor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STDlCdZnIsw

YouTube- Repulsive Electromagnetic Levitation 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6MaxAaNcNk&feature=related

YouTube- magnetic levitation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpGonZljvA&feature=player_embedded