Science Forums

Stem-cell research/Asimov/Frankenstein study packet

Hello all,

I've got some kind of study packet for an Exam. It is about what we should study, know etc for the exam.

I need help in like if there's any connection between stem-cell research and Frankenstein + Asimov and their messages. If they from different eras reach similar or different conclusions about creationism versus science and stem-cell research or human cloning (We have an article called "Cellular Divide" by Sharon Begley).

I have read both Frankenstein and Asimov, but I still somewhat struggle in finding a decent connection between them and stem-cell research. Sure Frankenstein is also about the creation of life, but how can I go "in-depth" with it ? What about Asimov and his "Armies of the Night" and his viewpoints?

Thankful for any reply :)

I don't recall the "Armies of the night" story, but Frankenstein is slightly different than the stem cell debate because it is about making life out of body parts of dead people...

I am not sure how stem cells relate to creationism. In fact, I think I fail to see the connection between Frankenstein and stem cells, too. Stem cells are not about creating life but using living cells to cure disease etc.

The specific science was not the issue involved with Shelly (Although it did play into the mind-set of the era, particularly vivisection) but more so the theme was the impact of "modern" science on man. One of the larger points was the correlation that science was replacing religion. (Frankenstein created his "entity", but in the end the creature was ultimatly the controlling factor).

One factor that is usually obscured by the "right-to-lifers" is the genetic manipulation aspects of stem-cell research. This biotech issue was a factor in Huxley's Brave New World.

I have not read that Asimov story, so that one I cannot offer any insight.

In terms of religion and science conflicts in lit. Bertold Brecht’s play “Life of Galileo" is a good read.