Science Forums

Mid-North American Metropolis

Queso

After living in a city of more than a million and over my time spent there actually seeing it getting more and more populated, i've been thinking about what are we going to do about all of this. overpopulation is inevitable, and in some parts of the world already a problem.

what if we built a metropolis in the middle of america?

the metropolises now (i may be wrong) were just the hotspots and boomed over the last century.

i don't believe we've ever created something like this before.

what would be the benefits to this?

(other than more living, would this boost the economy?)

just throw any opinions, ideas, or whatever at this thread. the idea seems interesting.

Bigger cities in the past HAD to be located by rivers or ports to be able to sustain the populations. Without these natural tranport routs food and supplies would be very difficult to provide. Sanitation would also have been an issue. again a reasonably planned metroplex would be a viable option today, but perhaps the economoc issues are too great to relocate such masses of people when extant cities are already around.

You forget something in the rich world natatlity is smaller than 2, that means for every 2 persons there is less than 2 that replace them. Now as slowly (I hope) the more and more people will get richer (and as hopefully the new pope won't ban preservatives) it implies that natality will still go further down and eventually the problem won't pose itself.

For example inEurope the natality is less than 2, but thanks to immigration the european population is growing anyway. Now if developping countries eventually get rich it implies that immigration slows down and population stabilizes.