Science Forums

Hello community!

PerfectLiquid

I'm PerfectLiquid (that mysterious property that was a requirement for the aether). By training, I'm a scientist, but left that realm professionally about 25 years ago.

I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to social networking, but have viewed a number of posts dealing with astrophysics. I tend to listen long and talk little.

I landed here after discovering a thread started by TheBigDog on Maximum Gravitational Force that was posted back in '06. He raised a very interesting observation that may be worth additional discussion.

My main interests are in working out a model for space-time, but not according to currently popular methods (which as I see it, rely largely on mathematics). Rather, I am relying on the use of physical (and chemical) analogies to construct a tangible model. I recognize that this will put me at odds with most quantum physicists, but I have to go with my instincts. As such, I am interested in gravity, time, supermassive black holes, relativistic jets and gamma ray bursts (among other topics). Although not well versed in the history of physics, I have found remarkable insights from Clerk Maxwell, Einstein and Newton.

I am currently noodling the relationship between density and gravitational force, and that's how I found TheBigDog's post. So why is gravitational force higher at the surface of a smaller dense object than at the surface of a larger, but less dense object? (and does it max out?)

BTW - what's a trackback?

Nuff said,

Al

well hello al,

welcome to hypography!!:confused:

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for the welcome. Since you seem to be fond of Einstein, you might be interested in my reply to Little Bang at http://hypography.com/forums/philosophy-of-science/3650-what-is-time-70.html#post278225. I continue to marvel at how little I was taught (or learned) about him in school. I wish that I had studied German, so that I could check out some of his work first hand. Take care. :eek2:

Regards,

Al

Welcome Al, I look forward to future discussions.

Hi Moontanman,

Thanks for the welcome. I hope that my somewhat irreverent views succeed in planting some fundamental seeds in the minds of a few aspiring physicists that might visit here. There seems to be an overabundance of mono-culture amongst the experts. Looking forward to both sharing and listening. :confused:

Regards,

Al

Welcome!

I too like to use analogs to help me understand physics, with one difference: I'm not very good at it.

I look forward to trying to understand what you're writing about, since I know if I can I'll like it.

--lemit

Hi lemit,

If you like physical analogs, you'll love my approach. If you like data-driven approaches, I think you'll be pleased. If you like complex math, you'll be disappointed (at least so far). Like Clerk Maxwell, I am trying to physically understand the phenomenon (especially gravity), before going after the math. You can see why this puts me at variance with quantum mechanics, but I'm not discounting their work, especially QED. Thanks for the hello.:wave2:

Regards,

Al

Another bloody physicist

Welcome anyway!

:)

Isn't the perfect, and strangest, liquid water?

Hi Michaelangelica,

Water turns out to be my inspiration, but it isn't sufficiently perfect (i.e., near zero viscosity) for my purposes. I am actually very interdisciplinary and do not claim to be a physicist. I think this has helped, but only time will tell. I'm really more of a natural scientist. How about you? Thanks for the welcome. :wave2:

Regards,

Al