Science Forums

Creating black holes

bumab

They didn't say the radius of the black hole. Being able to "swallow the earth" would be dependent upon

the surface area of the event horizon. A quantum sized black hole would likely be two small. I curious if

any of the telltale Hawking radiation was discovered. The article only implied. David Brin wrote a SF

novel about such a topic, called "Earth". Gregory Benford wrote another one about this experiment

(smashing Au nuclei), called "Cosm". In this story was created a new universe. Interesting. ;)

Maddog

They didn't say the radius of the black hole. Being able to "swallow the earth" would be dependent upon the surface area of the event horizon.
As things fall into it, increasing its mass, the Schwarzschild radius increases accordingly.

Also, with the type of quantum blackholes sometimes mentioned as being possible to create in a lab Hawking Radiation and their decay without infalling matter should apply. For larger Blackhole's where and how would one suggest we get the materials. There isn't at present enough material in our solar system to achieve such unless someone knows a way to compress matter down beyond a certain size. If you do let me know how.

I dont think a 'real' black hole could actually disappear as Qfwfg said mass falls in and it gets bigger... also if you wanted to turn the earth into a black hole you would have to condense all the mass into a ball with a radius of less than 9mm! so imagine turning sub-atomic particals into black holes...very small stuph...