Science Forums

Consciousness link to evolution

clapstyx

Let me speculate from a different angle. Most of the cells of the body have nerve type tissue nearby. Nervous tissue is smart tissue, designed for input and/or output and transmission of signals. It seems very likely the brain has a good 3-D image of the body, in real time, down to the individual cells. This image might not include the inside of the cells, but would be expected to see at least the external membrane. This will be a reflection of a differentiated 3-D genetic shape…

HB, after reading more of your nonsense I have decided that freeztar is probably right. I have no idea what you mean by the brain having “a good 3-D image of the body, in real time, down to the individual cells.” Just who do you think will buy this tripe? This is not science, HB, and you need to take it to another forum that admits such absurd and unsubstantiated speculation.

Would you mind if I speculated that human consciousness is God's way of bringing more glory to His name? I'm sure I could find some passage in the Bible that supports this claim, which would be more than you have done to support yours.

• 2 weeks later...
... I'm unaware of the types of DNA interaction you describe, other than Lamarckism, but even that was generational.

This may be of interest with regard to neo-Lamarckism, though slightly off-topic, since it deals not with consciousness as a link to evolution:

Generation of biologically active retro-genes upon interaction of mouse spermatozoa with exogenous DNA

Mature spermatozoa of most animal species can spontaneously take up foreign DNA molecules which can be delivered to embryos upon fertilization. [...]

These results indicate that an efficient machinery is present in mature spermatozoa, which can transcribe, splice, and reverse-transcribe exogenous DNA molecules. This mechanism is implicated in the genesis and non-Mendelian propagation of new genetic information besides that contained in chromosomes.

I hesitated to add this next link due to the controversial nature of its content (and of the Author). Molecular biology forbids the inheritance of acquired characteristics. This research claims genetic mutations involved in immune response can be inherited.

Are retrogenes changing Darwin's Natural Selection Paradigm?

The main factual claim: genetic mutations involved in immune response can be inherited.

[...]

Ironically, Darwin believed in inheritance of acquired characteristics! Darwin published his hypothesis of pangenesis as the last chaper of Variation in Plants and Animals in 1868. According to pangenesis, the basis of hereditary characters resides within tiny cellular particles called 'gemmules'. Gemmules then migrate from somatic to germ cells, where they collect to pass inherited characters to the next generation. Since gemmules become modified in somatic cells by conditions of life and the actions of organisms, acquired characters can be inherited!

See this related site:

Towards The Third Evolutionary Synthesis

CC

One angle between consciousness and evolution can be seen with the conscious choice to exercise. Regardless of the body's steady state (consciousness doing nothing) of the DNA, one can push the body into another state.

One could take two twins who are both thin. This is the steady state DNA expression within the parameters of its given control system. One of the twins begins an intensive weight training program. He can exceed the muscle mass of the steady state of the other twin, who is the control. The higher muscle mass twin might now look like someone who has steady state DNA that is set for higher muscle mass. In other words, we could find another control subject, who is just big by nature. Are both of their DNA's (relative to muscle mass) now the same, based on outward appearance, or is consciousness filling in the difference between two different DNA's?

In space, there is a problem with bone loss, even though the DNA is expected to create a given bone mass. The cause and effect of weightlessness will tweak the DNA. They need to do training to keep pressure on the bones or the DNA will go the wrong way due to the cause and effect of weightless.

Where consciousness also comes in is via copying behavior (mother lion and cubs) to get the same genetic expression, which could be better than steady state. Relative to the twins, the children of the muscle twin sees dad and tries to copy his behavior. The million dollar question is, over enough generations will the gap between steady state DNA and conscious push of the DNA, fill in, due to the internal environmental stress created by consciousness?

The higher muscle mass twin is due to cause and effect, since we can use the same training techniques to create a similar effect in a wide range of subjects. The next question is, why is bridging the gap only done randomly? Is that bias of traditions or is there proof it can't occur via an extrapolation of the first cause and effect?