Science Forums

Good Morning! *grin*

Doktor Faust

Hello to all! I'm not even entirely sure how I came across this site, but I'm quite thankful I did. I took a look around, and this seems a very nice community that I am glad to have joined! I'm certain I'll have a great time here.

I'm 16 years old; a junior in high school. The courses I study there that interest me more than the rest include Latin, Physical Science, English (totally there for the literature; I'd like to believe I have a firm grasp on the language *laughs*) and German. In my free time, I have been pursuing the Japanese language as well. I enjoy a variety of things, among these things reading, writing, drawing, composing music, and sword-fighting. O_o Not your most conventional, that last one there. XD I'm also a diabetic (type I) and suffer from celiac disease as well. I'm not so good at the whole "gluten-free" diet thing, though. *shifty eyes*

A few of my interests pertaining to science and medicine involve anything dealing with diabetes (particularly juvenile diabetes), evolution, robotics, paleontology, and virtually anything in the medical field. I aspire to be a doctor, though I've gotten a rather late start (concerning courses I can participate in the rest of high school). I'm also open to learning about anything on the way!

</rambling>!! B);;

Nice to meet you all and I hope to learn much about each of you as I continue my journey here!

Ah, thank you kindly for the welcome! And thanks for expressing interest B)

As for my composing, I'm certainly not very good (IMHO at least), but I do write music for clarinet and piano, and I tab some for guitar. I just formed a band with a few friends, and they have elected me as their writer, so I hope to accomplish something. *laughs*

I took an interest in composing at an early age, but I started actually writing what I had recently. When I'm not doing something else, I'm working on some music. B)

I myself play piano self-taught and by ear, mostly classical pieces. I've never had a piano lesson but I think I do just fine considering XD. My favorite classical masters are Beethoven, Liszt, and Bach.

Other than the piano, I play acoustic guitar, some electric guitar (and bass), clarinet, recorder, and shamisen. And the hardest of those that I find to play is the shamisen. *shakes fist at lack of frets*

Okay, so... stopping now, so I don't write an entire biography XD

Ah, wonderful, Turtle! :3

I'm not so good myself, but at least I understood that. XD Danke sehr!

And thank goodness you all like long biographies. When I first started, I was stumped as to what I should write, but that changed with rapidity.

As for the music we play... very little right now, since I'm the only one who's had more than a month's practice. *laughs* I play keyboards, shamisen, and some back-up guitar for them. We all like Japanese music, especially rock, a favorite band of ours being Dir en grey. We have translated a few of their songs into English, and are learning to play them. I myself like Malice Mizer, especially their incorporation of harpsichord and organ into their songs. And because I'm quite interested in synth and keyboards, I want to try the style of Japanese techno group Schwarz Stein. Hope that wasn't entirely a foreign language, what with all the Japanese rock references ;);;

But I thought I'd try my best to influence our sound. Since I write our music, rest assured I will be placing classical references in songs and playing in that style as much as I can.

Soooo, a REALLY good thing you all don't hate long posts. *laughs again*

I think it's funny that those are Japanese bands you're talking about who apparently have German names :eek: Wakarimasu Lederhosen Poka!! *oompa oompa oompa*

I also studied many languages and instruments, although I only ever played the piano very well. I haven't had much time lately for it and I certainly miss it, but it's like riding a bike - the pieces that I forget mentally or visually, my fingers remember for me. I also like those composers, but right now I favor Rachmaninov.

Anyhow - wilkommen, und viel Gluk! ;D

Ah, I myself was surprised about the names. XD Many Japanese bands tend to take German or French names. At least quite a few of the mainstream ones have.

I actually don't like to read sheet music. Kinda strange, I suppose, considering the composing and all, but I've always played pieces by ear and after I'm pleased with my performance, I reference the sheet music to see how I did, and then correct my mistakes afterwards if I feel like it. Kinda time consuming. And that's but one of my idiosyncrasies. *laughs* And Rachmaninov is nice too- I like most of his works. :friday:

Thank you for the welcome as well!